1748163 Members
3626 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: New disks Array with Spare in Proliant ML G2 - SmartArray 5300

Theo Hertog

New disks Array with Spare in Proliant ML G2 - SmartArray 5300

I have a Compaq Proliant ML 530 G2.
In Drive Bay B i have Array A with 3 disks (36.4 Gb) in RAID 5.

In Drive Bay A i want add 5 new disks (72.8 Gb), 4 disks in RAID 5 + 1 Spare.

In ACU i can't find the new disks. By a new array i get the message "There are no physical disks".

When i put 3 disks in Drive Bay B, i can see the 3 new disks in ACU.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thnks
8 REPLIES 8
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

HI,

Are you refering the information that hdd under the particulars ID are not getting detected or what. As 3 HDD is getting detected under Bay 2 then move around those hdd under the same bay to check that id are fine. You can see id infomration under the ACU. Then still 3 hdd is getting detcted Can you check with confgiuring RAID 5 as we add more hdd on same and assign spare also.

Before doing anything make sure the server is configure with latest BIOS and controller firmware.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Theo Hertog

Drive Bay B is OK.
When i added three new disks in Bay B i can make Array B with RAID 5.

The Drive Bay A do nothing. Gives no information of the disks i put in.
He doesn't see any of them.

Regards Theo
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

Theo,

From what you are saying it looks like cage A is not connected to the SA5300 controller. I would recommend checking you cable configuration. There should be two cables, (usually one has a blue tag and the other a yellow tag) these should be connected to the two internal ports of you array controller.
ThereтАЩs your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

...the other end on these cables should be connected to the respective drive cages.
Theo Hertog

Drive Bay A is connected with a blue cable to the systemboard.

Drive Bay B is connected with a yellow cable to the systemboard.

Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

Hmm├в ┬ж..

If both the cables are connected to the system board, what is connected to the 5300 controller? Is there a cable connected to the SA5300 controller? If so, where does the other end of the cable go?
If you want to use both cages with the SA5300 controller; you need two point-to point cables. One going from one port of the SA5300 controller to cage A, the other cable going from the other port of the SA5300 controller to cage B. Try tracing the cable paths from the controller to see if they are connected to the drive cage
Theo Hertog

There is one cable on the top of the Smart Array 5300 card for the DLT tape drive.

Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

Theo,

We need to check on a few things ├в You have established that you have a SA5300 controller and the only cable connected to it is going to a tape drive; this means that no hard drive (cages) are connected to the SA5300 controller. The AUC will pick up drives connected only to an array controller, so if no drive are connected to the SA5300 controller are we need to find out what the hard drive the ACU is seeing. Do you have a second PCI controller in the sever? Or are you running SW RAID?

Run the ACU (BTW which version are you running) and check on:
=>What model of controller is the ACU detecting?
=> Go to the physical view and see on what ID and port are the existing HDD detecte