7592 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: New drives gone AWOL

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rob V

New drives gone AWOL

Running a ML530R with 1 Ghz processor, Novell 5.1 sp5. I have a Smart Array 5300 in the system hooked to the internal drives, and to an external raid box. When I put drives into the external RAID, the system sees them right away and I can set them up. When I added 2 new drives to the internal RAID, the system fails to see them at all. Any ideas? All the software is current.
It's all fun and games, until someone pokes an i-mac out.
7 REPLIES 7
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor

Hi Rob;

First thing to check - do you have a point to point scsi cable running between the drive cage and the internal channel of the 5300 controller. As shipped, that cable would be connected to the embedded scsi controller and needs to be moved.

To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Do the drives spin up (i.e., do they have power)?
Did you add the drives to the first cage or to the second? Check to see if the second cage has power connected? Also, you need to have two power supplies installed in the server to provide power to the second cage.
LMK? -John
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Rob V

Everything seems to be set up fine, we already have 3 drives in the cage (in the server), it's the added 2 to this cage that aren't being seen. When I put them in, the spin, the power lights stay on, but they aren't recognized. The external array found the new drives right away, the internal sees nothing. When I go into the cpqonlin.nlm I can see all the other drives (internal and external), just not the two new drives.
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor

More ideas:

When you add the drive live in a NetWare environment you should get an audible beep and a server console message that the controller detects the new drive. Does that happen?

If the system doesn't recognize the drives it may be a firmware mismatch issue.

What part number is on the drives you're adding? What is the firmware revision on your controller?

To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.
Rob V

I'm not sure how to check the firmware level. There is no beep when I insert a drive. The drive P/N is 251872-001 with firmware: B014 Rev:A01.
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor
Solution

The firmware rev. will show in the *F3 - Info* option when you highlight the device in cpqonlin.

You can get the firmware rev of your controller and the hard drives you can see using this utility.

I'm guessing the firmware on your new drives is much newer than the old ones.

You can download the updates for controller and drives at http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/32_1117.html
e4services
Honored Contributor

Could it be possible you have a SCSI ID conflict with some other SCSI device and the 2 shelves you are using on the new drives?
Have you tried the new drives in a shelf that holds a currently recognized drive? Try and find out if it is the drive or something else.
Hot Swap Hard Drives