ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753873 Members
7519 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

New hard drives in RAID cause performance issues?

Bas van Oers
Occasional Contributor

New hard drives in RAID cause performance issues?

Hi all,

I have a ML110 G5 over here. Recently, I bought 4 new 2 Tb harddisks (Samsung, HD204UI). Using the onboard embedded RAID controller, I've configured two RAID1's, consisting of 2 harddisks each, using the Quick Init option. I didn't enable Writing Cache, but did enable that one of the RAID configurations is bootable. That all went fine.

Afterwards, I tried to install Windows XP. Of course I know how to use the driver.

However, the performance of the RAID is really lacking. The installation of Windows XP 64bit takes more than 1 hour, and the installation of SP2 is almost impossible. When I look at the hard disk activity led, then it's lit continuously. The HP RAID tool (when installed in Windows) shows that the RAID is Optimal.

Is there any conflict between HP ML110 server and Samsung hard drives? Or should I enable writing cache? Any other suggestions?

Bas
4 REPLIES 4
Bas van Oers
Occasional Contributor

Re: New hard drives in RAID cause performance issues?

oh some additional information. I had two WD 1 Tb drives in the server before, also in RAID1 config. That performance was excellent.

Of course the Samsung drives are not that fast, but I only use the server for test purposes.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Adding a battery cache and enable write caching would improve performance. I would also suggest a slotted RAID controller over on-board. On-board usually shares RAM and CPU cycles. It would slow your server. I slotted RAID controller does its own processing.
webber63

hi Bas,
I'm looking for Raid drivers to install Win XP 64bit on ML110G5, may you tell me where did you find'em?
Regards

Francesco
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

XP x64 is not fully supported on HP Proliant servers. You will have problems getting drivers for a non-supported OS.