1752800 Members
5596 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

New memory fails in DL365

bluethumb
Occasional Contributor

New memory fails in DL365

I tried to add some memory to our DL365 with two Opterons. It sits with the internal health LED red, and all DIMM lights amber on the Insight display. The manual says this means "No valid or usable memory is installed". When I pulled out the new memory, it worked OK again.

I'm trying to figure out how this can happen. Do I have a bad SIMM, or did I make a mistake?

I bought Axiom AX16491053/2 memory. This is two SIMMs of 2 GB each, dual rank, DDR2-667, registered, ECC, PC2-5300. As far as I can tell, this is what the computer wants. There are two banks of 4 memory slots each. When I opened the box there were two 1GB SIMMs in each bank. I added one of the new SIMMs in the next slot of each bank. Again I think this is the right thing to do.

Can anyone find fault with my procedure? If not, I will have to return the new memory. I can't test it in another computer - this is the only one that takes ECC registered.

Bonus question: Should I unplug the power cord when doing this? I know it provides a ground, but the blinking lights and running fans make me nervous about possible voltage in places where I don't want it.
2 REPLIES 2
bluethumb
Occasional Contributor

Re: New memory fails in DL365

A bit of late editing. Wherever the message says "SIMMs", read "DIMMs". I do know the difference.
Shayne Heidemann
Regular Advisor

Re: New memory fails in DL365

You should install the memory in decreasing sizes, 2GB DIMMs first, then the 1GB DIMMs.

For the power, leave it plugged in for access to earth, but turn it off at the wall (if possible)

Cheers
Shayne