7599 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: New ml380 G7 array setup

Keith Boddy
Occasional Advisor

New ml380 G7 array setup

Hi all!

I'm in the process of setting up a nice new ml380 G7.  The server came with a Smart Array P410i/512MB FBWC and we're using 8 - 146Gig 15K 6G SAS drives.

I've setup a lot of these models, but I'm curious about a few recommended controller settings for Win2008R2:

1. Strip sizing when setting up array?  Default 256K - Any performance issues / concerns? (1 RAID-1 OS logical drive, and 1 RAID-1+0 Data / database drive).  I've used 128 and 64K strips in the past, but is there anything I should watch for with Win2008R2 and database apps?  I had a tech recommend using 64K for NTFS format - but most of this is usually handled by the OS defaults (not sure size off top of head).

2. Using any of the array write cache, drive cache, percentages for the Read / Write performance?  Most of the defaults are disabled and the Read / Write performance (settings were for 25% read 75% write) - but I'm assuming the controller cache (FBWC) will be the only thing used by default.  Should these be used (excluding any issues with power loss causing data issues)?

I'm aware this should be based on server role, so let's assume this is for a database server build.  Just really curious about a reasonable base-line setup for these servers, particularily with the Win2008R2 OS being used.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
srlg
Advisor

you can ask microsoft

@kboddy wrote:

Hi all!

I'm in the process of setting up a nice new ml380 G7.  The server came with a Smart Array P410i/512MB FBWC and we're using 8 - 146Gig 15K 6G SAS drives.

I've setup a lot of these models, but I'm curious about a few recommended controller settings for Win2008R2:

1. Strip sizing when setting up array?  Default 256K - Any performance issues / concerns? (1 RAID-1 OS logical drive, and 1 RAID-1+0 Data / database drive).  I've used 128 and 64K strips in the past, but is there anything I should watch for with Win2008R2 and database apps?  I had a tech recommend using 64K for NTFS format - but most of this is usually handled by the OS defaults (not sure size off top of head).

2. Using any of the array write cache, drive cache, percentages for the Read / Write performance?  Most of the defaults are disabled and the Read / Write performance (settings were for 25% read 75% write) - but I'm assuming the controller cache (FBWC) will be the only thing used by default.  Should these be used (excluding any issues with power loss causing data issues)?

I'm aware this should be based on server role, so let's assume this is for a database server build.  Just really curious about a reasonable base-line setup for these servers, particularily with the Win2008R2 OS being used.

Thanks!

彼此的真诚,共同的荣誉!
Keith Boddy
Occasional Advisor

I suppose you're right.... I could just follow MS recommendations - but we all know not all hardware is equal, and I'm asking Proliant / HP hardware specific setup questions that involve hardware settings even before OS install (i.e. SmartStart CD setup pre-install).

Thanks.