108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: New to Compaq--Loading Win2K

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gus_3
Occasional Advisor

New to Compaq--Loading Win2K

Someone gave me a Prolient ML330 and I'm trying to load Win2K Pro on it but am getting stuck at, you guessed it, the "did not find any hard drives on this computer" prompt. I did not get any disks with this computer so I'm clueless on how to get the right drivers for it. Can someone please direct me to the right driver needed? Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
Ron Amos
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi Gus,
You haven't indicated which model you have -- SCSI or ATA Model?

Windows 2000 Professional is not a supported Operating System for a HP Server. Personally I have been able to install 2000 Professional on my personal ML370 in a Multi-boot configuration.

Some Tips:
1) Normally your error message means the Controller Order is not set correctly

2) Your Server has a RBSU (ROM Based System Utility) that is accessed by pressing F9 at prompt. Suggest setting Operating System selection to Windows 2000 and Controller Order to ATA or SCSI Adapter 1st which ever applies.

3) Create Boot Disks with Windows 2000 Diskette Builder to assist in a manual installation or boot on CD and run manual installation. Operating System should support your particular adapter.

4) When Operating System is installed then run Proliant Support Paq (PSP) to apply all the appropriate HP Hardware Drivers automatically.

5) When you upgrade to SP2 or SP3 be sure to re-apply PSP prior to re-booting to prevent Windows SP (Support Pack) from overwriting and of the HP Drivers.

Ron
There are some people who live in a dream world
Gus_3
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply. I believe I have the SCSI version as it has an Adaptec card in it and upon boot-up, the server indicates that the disks are spinning up. I do not have any documentation on this server and do not know what exactly I have.
Gus_3
Occasional Advisor

By the way, when I press F9 nothing happens. To get into BIOS I press F10 and that works, but not F9.
Ron Amos
Valued Contributor

Hi Gus,

I work the Midnight Shift so this is reason of delayed response. Yes the ML330 and early model ML350 has the first version of RBSU (ROM Based Server Utility) -- It would be accessed via F10 -- Later model Servers now use F9.

I will be attaching a "Maintenance and Service Guide PDF" with this message for your Server. It should provide additional help as you indicate your lack of documentation.

OPP's this File is 3MB. E-Mail me your E-Mail Address and I can send the PDF that way.

Ron
There are some people who live in a dream world
Gus_3
Occasional Advisor

Check your email. I look forward to the file.
Tony Kerr

Hi Ron.

I am also having difficulties getting W2K Pro to install on a Proliant ML330. I have tried the approach you suggested to Gus, but W2K install still cannot see the SCSI drives. I have no problems at all installing RedHat Linux 8.0, but Win2K Professional is unable to see the hard drives at all. Any suggestions?
TR_7

Gus and Tony,

Hit F6 on the way into the Win2000 install to specify a thrid party SCSI driver... Watch for the prompt it doens't stay long... Download the drivers from this link

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17320.html

Extract the drivers to a floppy disk and when prompted, put in the newly created drivers disk in the A drive. I'm not finished the install but it's going OK for me so far.

I will unlikely followup on this so good luck...

TR