108722 Solutions
New Discussion

New to HP ProLiant DL380p Generation8, updating software, HP Support Assistant

SOLVED
Go to solution
hoptag
Visitor

New to HP ProLiant DL380p Generation8, updating software, HP Support Assistant

I have never managed an HP server before so it's all new to me. I am working with a HP ProLiant DL380p Generation8 that has been in service since mid 2013 and afaik it has never had any firmware or driver updates. The OS is windows 2012 (not r2).

I downloaded and installed HP Support Assistant but after scanning it says there are no update available, which seems kind of unlikely. SA software seems to be rather incomplete or buggy so I'm guessing it's not worth keeping?

When I check the hp support website for this machine I see a good number of fairly fresh updates listed. I just download and install each, is that right? I ask because with an advanced server like the proliant, I expected the udpate process to be somewhat more managed...like the Support Assistant might have been if it worked.

I have also seen "hp smart update manager" but for the life of me I can't tell if it's free or a payed product, if it's overkill for my single server needs etc.

I'd appreciate any assistance from those with more exposure to the proliant server line. It seems like a nice unit, generally.

1 REPLY 1
hoptag
Visitor
Solution

Re: New to HP ProLiant DL380p Generation8, updating software, HP Support Assistant

I found out about HP Service Pack for ProLiant (SPP) and will give it a go. SPP includes HP Smart Update Manager.

Looks like HP Support Assistant is not for servers.