1752662 Members
5521 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Newbie needs help

djlcanuck
Occasional Visitor

Newbie needs help

I just inherited a HP PROLIANT DL380 G4 with dual zeons, tape drive, 4 146gb hdds and a Storageworks raid with 14 146gb hdds. I would like to get this up and running.

1) The server boots and goes in to bios with no problem (Bios version P51 10/10/2005)

however I have tried to boot from CD, USB, USB-DVD with no results. I have tried to load win XP, Both MS and HP                 storage server with no results.  Any help with what I need to load would be welcome.

2) There are no cables to hook the 2 together. There is a VHDscsi port on back of each, but what I have read on line is if i connect the to units with this I wouldn't be able to use the servers internal drives.  What parts do I need to connect the Server to the raid? I have 30 years of IT experience so I have tried most of the standard things like boot order, different cds etc. Just no experience with Proliant servers.

Any pointers to get me going would be greatly appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: Newbie needs help

Hi!

1)

"I have tried to load win XP, Both MS and HP                 storage server with no results.  Any help with what I need to load would be welcome."

What do you mean no results? Does it just skip it and reboot or what happens?

Windows Server 2008 (not R2) seems to be the only one that's supported according to http://h17007.www1.hp.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/supportmatrix/windows.aspx

Try booting on the smartstart CD and then install the OS.

THere's also a newer firmware out for the BIOS - latest is 2007.07.19. Boot on the Firmware Maintenance CD to upgrade everything.

Smartstart CD and firmware maintenance CD are here: http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=3288132&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4024

2) Is the tape drive also external or I guess it's the Storageworks that you want to connect to. So step one is to figure out exactly which model storageworks you have and which SCSI card you have. Probably Ultra320 but maybe Ultra160 disk shelf? Different cables for different speeds. Do you have terminators?

The DL380 G4 service and maintenance guide is quite useful.