New Discussion юеВ

Re: Newbie question: Proliant ML 370- no video after using RBSU utility

SOLVED
Go to solution
Cathy Wood_1
Occasional Contributor

Newbie question: Proliant ML 370- no video after using RBSU utility

Hi!
I've just gone through a grueling installation of two Proliant servers (my first). One came up fine, but the other refused to bring up the video after a reboot (before I was able to start a Windows 2000 Server install). The issue appeared right after entering and exiting the RBSU utility, and the immediate reboot (I don't believe any changes were made to the configuration at that time).

There is the possibility that the SCSI controller array settings were altered before the reboot, though.

I don't believe I heard any post beeps, although I can't guarantee that due to the noise level at the site.

My questions:
I've found a few references in other posts to resetting the NVRAM, using DIP switch 6 for some similar models, although not for this one. Does anyone know if that remedy is applicable here so I can get in to use the backup ROM?

Other question: Does anyone know definitively that the erase utility isn't applicable to the Proliant ML 370 line?

Or are you aware of any other methods of clearing the ROM in order to get the video back?

If indeed I messed up the array settings, is there a straightforward method to bring the initial configuration back?

I'm grateful for any support anyone can provide!
Thank you!
6 REPLIES 6
Frank Kaufman
Honored Contributor
Solution

Your problem is not related to the SCSI array. Video is initialized befor the array init, so if you do not get video at all, the problem is more fundamental.

Cathy Wood_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Frank, I really appreciate the information and reality check. It makes perfect sense, when I look at this server as just another computer... so I'd guess we have a motherboard failure!

The weird thing is that the drives "seem" to be initializing or at least being recognized - some drive "light" activity, all green. I'll try to find out a bit more about board failures and the POST process. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!
Frank Kaufman
Honored Contributor

Strip the unit down to bare minimum, take all cards out, and pull out all the memory.

If the system board is functioning (the CPU starts up) you will get a few beeps to notify you of a RAM error (which you have induced by taking the RAM out).

If you get no beeps, the system board is not running.
Cathy Wood_1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Frank!
You called it - definitely a dead system board. Replaced it and up and running in about a half hour. Thanks again for your help!
-Cathy
Jonathan Steffan

I have also had this issue. I have not replaced my system board. When I remove the RAM with two (or one) known good Proc and PPMs... I get no beaps. I have tried resetting/seatting everything. Swapping in-out power supplies. New vid card. Pretty much everything/combination I can think of... still no beeps. Maybe a bad speaker? :-) Any other tests I can run before I have to track down a new system/mainboard?
Jonathan Steffan

I forgot to add, I am running a 1850R... as I notice this thread is for a ML 370. Sorry about that. Any ideas. Thanks in advance.