HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newly installed drive stuck on 6=readyForRebuild

Chad_87
Occasional Visitor

Newly installed drive stuck on 6=readyForRebuild

I replaced bad drive in a RAID5 Array and now the new status is stuck on 6=readyForRebuild.

When I first installed the drive I received the 7=rebuilding message, but after a couple minutes I received the 6=readyForRebuild message and have not received any other messages in over 24 hours.

Any advice? Can I force the rebuild, is the new drive bad possibly?

Thanks,
Chad
5 REPLIES
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Re: Newly installed drive stuck on 6=readyForRebuild

Hi,

Check he status in ACU user Smartstart to use ACU
Then decide what need to be done.

Regards,
Prashant s
Nothing is impossible
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

What is the Led status on the Drive?
If you have chance Power down system Pull drive out and test in other Server?
For target server: Verify if you have Latest Firmware for Array Controller, driver for Controller and recommended Latest ACU (firmware for HDD also good Idea)
Run ChkDsk for bad sectors, it can cause rebuild to hung

After all done, try one more time for rebuild process
Chad_87
Occasional Visitor

The far right drive (power?) light in out. The middle light lights up with each data action with the other 4 drives in the array. The amber light is not on. The weird thing is if I pull the drive and reinstall it, the 7=rebuilding message comes up, but after exactly two minutes to the second everytime I receive the 6=readyForRebuild message. I have tried this with two spare drives.

I will try your advice and let you all know.

Thanks,
Chad
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

This is usually caused by another drive in the array which also has a problem. To determine which drive may have this problem you can:

1. Look under the drive statistics section of system mgmt homepage (under storage) and determine which drive is the one with hard read or hard write errors.

or

2. Run the array diagnostic utility. In the output search for the term "Fl Rd Recv" (failed recovery read errors). This should be 0. If you find a drive with another but 0, then this is likely the drive with the problem.

This will normally require getting a good backup, replace this drive, recreate the array with the two "new" drives, then restore.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Terry right you need to examine ADU, if you never done that in the past â see attachment
Red mark would be more critical in your situation, green marks just for future: small malfunction, not always caused by hard drive itself.