1752565 Members
5648 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: No ILO# SNMP Alerts

Donald J Wood
Frequent Advisor

No ILO# SNMP Alerts

I discovered this accidently today. We had a DL380G7 with a bad network cable in the ilo rj45 port so I had my onsite contact replace the cable and the connectivity came back. WhatтАЩs troubling me is we have SNMP alerting setup on ever system on our LAN and WAN and it works fine. IтАЩve tested it. So today I retested it on several systems and it works on everything but, when I disconnect and ILO2 or ILO3 from the network I get no alerts that it is down.

15 REPLIES 15
Donald J Wood
Frequent Advisor

Any help out here for this? My question is, why doesn't the ILO2 have alerting configured through the system management agents in cases where the ILO network connectivity is disruptive.

BSeklecki
Advisor

1) One should be proactively monitoring (SNMP, HTTP GET, ICMP ECHO) the IPv4 interface of every ILO2 in your network.  I recommend Nagios.   WhatsUpGold if you are desparate.

You should do this at least until you can ship your G3s, G4s, and G5s off to the Smithsonian Computer Museum.

2) Yes, the SMH and Agents should send an alert sourced _FROM_ the OS-level angents when Ethernet link is lost on the ILO2.  This should be a feature of agents.

cpqlocfg exposes the data, so the agent should be able to alert on it.

~BAS

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

It should, do you have cmasm2d loaded? That is the agent that monitors iLO

Text from the HP_SNMP_Trap_Guide.txt file

9015 - cmasm2d
Log message: "The iLO NIC Link is Down."
SNMP trap: cpqSm2NicLinkDown - 9015 in CPQSM2.MIB
Symptom: "The Remote Insight/ Integrated Lights-Out firmware has.
detected the loss of network link."
Supporting SNMP trap data:
* sysName
Supporting SNMP trap description:"The iLO NIC Link is Down."

9016 - cmasm2d
Log message: "The iLO NIC Link is Up."
SNMP trap: cpqSm2NicLinkDown - 9016 in CPQSM2.MIB
Symptom: "The Remote Insight/ Integrated Lights-Out firmware has
detected the presence of network link."
Supporting SNMP trap data:
* sysName
Supporting SNMP trap description:"The iLO NIC Link is Up"

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Donald J Wood
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the information. What network interface are these traps expected to go through? These traps are not listed in the Microsoft Windows Event ID and SNMP Traps v8.25 or HP Insight Management Agents 9.1 Microsoft Windows Event ID and SNMP Traps Reference Guide

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

SNMP on the host OS, using the NIC(s) the OS is using

Donald J Wood
Frequent Advisor

These traps are not listed in the Microsoft Windows Event ID and SNMP Traps v8.25 or HP Insight Management Agents 9.1 Microsoft Windows Event ID and SNMP Traps Reference Guide
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Ahh, you didn't mention the OS earlier, I was looking at the agents for Linux, but I'd figure there would be an agent for the Windows side

Donald J Wood
Frequent Advisor

Actually I can't make it trap on Windows or ESXI. I've tested both.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Glancing at the Windows agent technology brief, it looks like the server agent is what talks to iLO. For Linux there is an iLO channel driver, there is probably one for Windows also. The iLO channel driver needs to be loaded so drivers in the OS can talk to iLO.