1753913 Members
9115 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: No LED Lights on Hard Drives.

NoH2O
Occasional Visitor

No LED Lights on Hard Drives.

We have a DL360 G5 and have recently upgraded the Array Controller to a P800 and upgraded the drives from 2 72GB 3G 10K SAS drives to 6 146GB 6G 15K SAS drives. Other than one dead battery on the new (used) controller, everything seems to be working fine.

Also, we bought 36pin to 32pin (SFF-8484 to SFF-8087) SAS to mini SAS stock cables rather than the HP ones.

Any idea why we don't have lights on the drives? Could it be the controller or the cables? I can't see it being all six drives.

Thanks,
Scott

5 REPLIES 5
NoH2O
Occasional Visitor

I was sent this info for the DL360 G6 and assume it applies to the G5 as well:

Title: HP Proliant Servers - When Connected to P800 Controller the Internal Hard Drive LEDs do not Light up on a G6 Server
Object Name: mmr_na-0261105
Document Type: Support Information
Original owner: ProLiant Servers
Disclosure level: HP and Customer Viewable
Version state: published

Issue
When using a P800 controller with internal drives in a DL380 G6 server, no LEDs light up, eventhough an array is created and all the internal hard drives are working fine.
Solution
In G6 servers, we have to make sure that the Smart Array controller P800 should only be used for external storage boxes like MSAs. The LEDs on the internal hard drives, when connected to the controller, will not light up.

With P800 controllers in G6 servers, there is no option to connect the LEDs from the harddrives to the controller and to the backplane. Therefore the light signals to the backplane and to the drives are ignored. 

My question now is can someone recommend a controller that: 

1. Is compatible with a DL360 G5
  2. Will support the 6Gb/s SAS drives we have internally
  3. Has at least 512MB
  4. And... will fire the LEDs on the drives

Thanks in advance,

Scott.

Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

According to the QuickSpecs for DL360 G5, the P800 is compatible controller.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12476_div/12476_div.HTML
Refer to Storage section.

But if we refer to HP ProLiant DL360 Generation 5 Server Maintenance and Service Guide
http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00710376/c00710376.pdf

There is no information about P800 cabling in the above guide.

HP Smart Array P800 Controller QuickSpecs
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12616_div/12616_div.html

Have you consulted HP presales to see if the parts are compatible.

Thankyou.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

NoH2O
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the reply. I upgraded based on the Quick Specs, and as I mentioned, everything worked fine with the exception of the lights.

Thanks for the suggestion to contact HP presales. Perhaps they can point me in the right direction for a controller that fits my needs.

Thanks gain,
Scott.
fernferret

Do you know if the P812 will work operate the lights on the G6? What advice did presales give you?

BK_HPE
Valued Contributor

Hi @NoH2O 

I just spoke with someone from our storage chat team, and they are happy to help you find what you need. You can contact them via the HP Expert Chat website. Select the last option to talk to a Servers/Storage expert. Let me know if you still need help after chatting with them!