ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753936 Members
9675 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

No Microcode update to fix TSX bug in ProLiant ML310 Gen8 v2 with Intel Xeon E3 1220 v3 Haswell CPU

Mark_SV
Collector

No Microcode update to fix TSX bug in ProLiant ML310 Gen8 v2 with Intel Xeon E3 1220 v3 Haswell CPU

Dear HP

I noticed that there is no ROM update which contains updated microcode for HP ProLiant ML310e Gen8 v2 with Intel Xeon processors based on Haswell architecture. The known fact is that these processors are suffering from bug in TSX instruction set, which can be triggered by some transactional database systems (more info HERE). This is especially critical in production server environment.

To my surprise, HP released ROM update for HP Z Workstations (version 1.42A from 2014-12-05 HERE) and the microcode version has risen from 0x1A to 0x1C with TSX disabled (Hardware Lock Elision and Restricted Transactional Memory became not supported).

I have no doubt that such update must be released for above servers (and maybe others).

There is much more probability that this bug will be triggered in server than in workstation environment. I am really surprised that this patch was not released to this day, despite the fact that the severity of this bug could be much more harmful in server environment.

And by the way: why HP Z Workstations have so much more new releases of ROM (even Z400 has recived an update recently HERE) in contrast to HP ProLiant ML310, where the latest ROM is from March 2014? This is really strange for me. Even the HP DL320 Gen8 v2 (which is basically ML310 put in RACK case) has newer ROM (and it Addressed an issue where a system under heavy stress could experience an uncorrectable machine check).

Please take this case seriously, this is realy important thing. We and our customers relay on your products since year 2000. Thank you!

MSV

1 REPLY 1
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: No Microcode update to fix TSX bug in ProLiant ML310 Gen8 v2 with Intel Xeon E3 1220 v3 Haswell

You really need to open a support case with HPE. These forums are supported by the user community. While some HPE employees do monitor and post here their participation is not the same as workingthrough official support channels

http://community.hpe.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage

Hewlett Packard Enterprise Community: Rules of Participation Welcome to the Hewlett Packard Enterprise Community!

The Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) Community is a peer-to-peer channel to help people find answers, solve problems, and get the most out of their HPE products and services.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!