108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: No POST on Proliant 6000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Troy Jerkins
Occasional Contributor

No POST on Proliant 6000

I've inherited a Proliant 6000 that I can't get to run a POST. The manager said it has been powered off for about a year and has not been touched sinced it was decomissioned at that time. We want to use it now for file storage. The fans turn on and I see the SCSI drives blink once and that's pretty much all it will do after that. I've reseated everything I could and only left 2 memory modules in DIMM slots 1 and 2. Is there a jumper or switch that clears the config. What else can I do here? I'm stuck.

Thanks in advance,

-Troy
4 REPLIES 4
Benjamin W. Hill
Occasional Advisor

Hi Troy,

I have one of these too, and have the manual in PDF format. I can send it to you in e-mail if you want. Send me a message and I'll reply with the docs.

regards,

ben
Measure twice, cut once.

Troy - I would suggest clearing CMOS by throwing the jumper first. If that does not work, I would then suggest going to HP.com and downloading the latest version of the ROMPaq flash diskette. Here is the url:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/7498.html

If the above does not work, I would then suggest placing the system in "disaster recovery" mode by flipping switches 1,4,5, & 6 to "on." This will be on the 6-switch maintence switch bank. Then booting the system to the diskette. This should then flash to the ROMPaq BIOS version on the diskette. Please note that you may not see any video, proabbly only a flicker. These feature behaves differently on some systems.

After flashing - you should hear a series of beeps that comfirm the process is complete.
Power the system down and reset the switches. Then power the system back on.

If this does not work then I think your system may have more dire issues.

Good luck
Troy Jerkins
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for suggestion(s). After I cleared out the CMOS I now see that I have an amber warning light on the power supply which was not lit up before and I still get no POST, no video. Only the fans for the power supply and processors. Could it be that the power supply just doesn't have enough juice to boot the system. I only have the one. The price listed for a replacement is around $500.00. That's pretty steep for us. Is there somewhere else that sells referbs or used parts that I can reference?

-Troy
Benjamin W. Hill
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Troy,

Send me a message benhill@bellsouth.net and I will tell you where you can find the power supplies a great deal cheaper than what you quoted.

Regards,
Ben
Measure twice, cut once.