1751742 Members
5536 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: No bootable drive configured

Carlos A. Munoz Lopez
Frequent Advisor

No bootable drive configured

Hi guys! I've been trying to deploy Windows 2003 Standard on a HP DL380 G4 with Smart Array 6i Controller (firmware 2.36)with four 32GB disks configured in RAID 1+0, but I'm not able to do it. I used SmartStart CD (ver. 7.40) to start the installation and the array configuration utility to configure the RAID with no problem, but in the OS step, it copied all the installation files to the disks, but when rebooting again it prompts as if there is no bootable disk and freezes. I rebooted the system again and when entering SmartStart configuration it displays "There is no bootable drive configured on this system". It cannot be possible because the RAID is already created, and when I select the array configuration it shows the current RAID properly configured, when I get back, the warning message disappears. I would like some help on this issue.
13 REPLIES 13
Brian Polak

I'm having the exact same problem with a brand new ML310 G3 server. Except I'm trying a RAID-1 with 2 80 GB hard drives. From what I can tell the SmartStart program cannot detect the Boot Controller. It lists the Boot Controller as: "Intel Corp: Unknown device 27c3." Help on this issue ASAP would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Carlos,
Do you have SmartArray 6i controller defined as boot device (you do it in SmartStart configuration)?
BTW, update Smart Array 6i firmware to 2.58 version, 2.36 version is outdated.
Carlos A. Munoz Lopez
Frequent Advisor

When I first initiate SmartStart it doesn't recognize it as a boot device, that's where it display the message "There is no bootable drive configured on this system". When I access Array Configuration Utility (ACU) it shows the RAID, and when I go back, the boot information is updated with the controller info. It's kind of strange. I was thinking on upgrading the firmware too, aso you mentioned it, but I don't know if this is going to solve the problem.
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Carlos, do you see SmartArray 6i defined as boot controller ?
page 24 here
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00191707/c00191707.pdf
Carlos A. Munoz Lopez
Frequent Advisor

Here's the configuration in ROM:

IPL 1: CD-ROM
IPL 2: Hard Drive C: (See boot controller order)
IPL 3: Floppy

In Boot Controller Order:

Ctrl 1: PCI Embedded HP Smart Array 6i Controller
Ctrl 2: PCI Embedded HP Integrated PCI IDE Controller

In PCI Devices the Array Controller is enabled and IRQ=5
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Boot order seems to be Ok

>>>but in the OS step, it copied all the installation files to the disks, but when rebooting again it prompts as if there is no bootable disk and freezes

What is OS?

Did you try to do "Erase configuration" from SmartStart?
Carlos A. Munoz Lopez
Frequent Advisor

I mean by OS, the Operanting System. I deleted the initial configuration and recreated it with a different one. I created a RAID 1 using only two disks. I performed the same procedure and got the same error.
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Carlos, sorry I mean which OS you use (windows, SCO, OS/2,.....)?
Did you try to install OS without SmartStart?
Carlos A. Munoz Lopez
Frequent Advisor

I was planning to install Windows 2003 Standard. I tried to boot from the Windows CD, but it doesn't work. Seems it's not a bootable disk. What I am goin to do is try to update the firmware from 2.36 to 2.58, as you suggested before, but this is my last resource. I was hoping to find another way.