1748263 Members
3809 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: No disk drives detected on DL380 G6

Allen Huang_1
Frequent Advisor

No disk drives detected on DL380 G6

I rebooted the server. The server could not boot into OS after the reboot. When the server was in POST process, all hard disks could not be found by Raid Controller. And Raid Controller BIOS could not be visited, there was not a prompt "Press F8" in Raid Controller self testing. In the iLO system, all hard disks didn't display product id, but disk status were ok.

I ran SmartStart CD and everything passed diagnostic test.

When I tried to run ACU, it displays "ACU did not detect any supported controllers in your system"

I unplugged the power cords and then did a cold boot. From the terminal at the POST shows the following:
"Slot 0 HP Smart Array P410i Controller 0 Logical Drives
1785-Slot 0 Drive Array Not Configured
No Drives Detected"

It looks like a hardware component failed.
Is this an array controller or system board problem?
10 REPLIES 10
Erdogan Temur
HPE Pro

Hi,

hope it will resolve ur issue

Error Message: 1785-Slot X Drive Array Not Configured... (followed by one of the following):
...(1) Run Array Configuration Utility
...(2) No drives detected
...(3) Drive positions appear to have changed ├в Run Drive Array Advanced Diagnostics if previous positions are unknown. Then turn system power OFF and move drives to their original positions.
...(4) Configuration information indicates drive positions beyond the capability of this controller. This may be due to drive movement from a controller that supports more drives than the current controller.
...(5) Configuration information indicates drives were configured on a controller with a newer firmware version.

Possible Cause: Drive array configuration not detected.
Action:
Run ACU (Array Configuration Utility)
Power down the system and check SCSI cable connections to be sure the drives are connected properly.
Run ADU (Array Diagnostic Utility) if previous positions are unknown.
Then, turn the system power off and move the drives to their original positions.
To avoid data loss, update the controller firmware to the same or later version on the original controller.

regards.
Kind Regards,
Erdogan.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

Accept or Kudo

Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

"Slot 0 HP Smart Array P410i Controller 0 Logical Drives"

does not neccessary mean a problem.

The 410i looks like an additional controller apart from the integrated smartarray 5i or 6i controller in the system.

Where do you have the disks connected?
-> physically inspect the hardware.

"ACU did not detect any supported controllers in your system"
could mena you run an old version of ACU (from smartstart?) that does not support the 410i?

"I ran SmartStart CD and everything passed diagnostic test"
If smartstart also does NOT detect the controller and the disks behind this controller, then the test won't fail....

did you try the ILO to get information?
Allen Huang_1
Frequent Advisor

The configuration of the system consists of:
- HP DL380/385 G6 8SFF Cage Kit
- HP SAS Expander Card
- HP 256MB FIO P-Series Cache Module
- HP E5504 DL380 G6 FIO Kit
- HP 146GB 3G SAS 10K 2.5in HDD

I used the new SmartStart 8.40 to run ADU again and there is an error message:
"The cache for this controller is not configured"

What could be wrong?
Allen Huang_1
Frequent Advisor

The disk backplanes are connected to SAS expander card on PCI Riser.
ADU report shows:
"Smart Array P410i in Embedded Slot Warning The cache for this controller is not configured"

Does that indicate a problem with cache on the SAS expander card? Should I replace this card?
cnb
Honored Contributor

"I rebooted the server."

Why did you reboot it? ANY changes to F/W, O/S Drivers or configuration prior to the reboot?

This all started when you rebooted the system? Was it powered off during any of this time? How long was it powered off for? Maybe a bad battery or cache option.

However, "Cache...not configured" does not always mean a hardware failure, it could be a configuraition issue induced by a number of things. Cables, other associated cards (expander for one) not working correctly.

Did you by chance happen to upgrade/downgrade *any* firmware components (including disks) when you were troubleshooting this?

Can you post the ADU report?

Critical F/W issues resolved with the latest P410i update:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3884082&swItem=MTX-5dc3efa6580e48f7bedfb7744f&prodNameId=3884083&swEnvOID=1113&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=5

You might want to download the latest F/W Update CD/DVD, SmartStart Versions for your system and apply the updates. Note the SAS expander requires special considerations when applying the updates. Read the release notes.

Rgds,
Allen Huang_1
Frequent Advisor

>Why did you reboot it?

Initially, a colleage can not log in the server, so I opened remote console from iLO, the OS was halted. That's why I rebooted the server.

>ANY changes to F/W, O/S Drivers or >configuration prior to the reboot?

Not that I am aware of.

>This all started when you rebooted the system?

The problem may began before the reboot.
I rebooted server because it can not be logged in.

>Was it powered off during any of this time?

No.

>How long was it powered off for? Maybe a bad battery or cache option.

The server has been on all the time.

>However, "Cache...not configured" does not always mean a hardware failure, it could be a
>configuraition issue induced by a number of things. Cables, other associated cards
>(expander for one) not working correctly.

These are possibilities. Is there an easy way to find out what exactly not working correctly?

>Did you by chance happen to upgrade/downgrade *any* firmware components (including disks)
>when you were troubleshooting this?

No I didn't.

>Can you post the ADU report?
Please see the zipped ADU report in attachment

>Critical F/W issues resolved with the latest P410i update:

>http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3884082&swItem=MTX-5dc3efa6580e48f7bedfb7744f&prodNameId=3884083&swEnvOID=1113&swLang=1
>3&taskId=135&mode=5

>You might want to download the latest F/W Update CD/DVD, SmartStart Versions for your system
>and apply the updates. Note the SAS expander requires special considerations when applying
>the updates. Read the release notes.

Thank you for the information
hannibal22

Hi Allen,
Did you ever receive a resolution to this issue? I too am experiencing this problem. This is happening on my DL 380 Smart Array 5i Controller -- brand new system board. I even swapped Smart Array 5i memory modules and batteries.

I've got six drives which are all flashing green - so the drives are fine.

When i run ACU, it finds the Controller, but not the hard drives.

Any clues anyone?
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Did you apply the latest firmware and Option ROM to you server, controller and firmware on the drives. Did you run diagnostics to see if the controller is damaged. It could be you need to replace the controller or server board.
Allen Huang_1
Frequent Advisor

The problem was resolved after replacing the SAS Expander Card.