1752810 Members
5975 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

No easy way to setup OS on ML150 Gen9?

StefanoFereri
Advisor

It works with latest version of Intelligent Provisioning

With Intelligent Provisioning version 2.30 things changed. Now you can mark a check box that says "Disallow swap space (not recommended)". If you check it you're allowed to size the system partition down to about 32 MByte, which is enough for my Hyper-V parent core. Also USB flash drive with setup files is recognized now by Intelligent Provisioning.

StefanoFereri
Advisor

Re: No easy way to setup OS on ML150 Gen9?

Finally booting from USB flash drive in the default UEFI mode of Gen9-Servers works. It is described here:

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docLocale=null&docId=emr_na-c04892612&sp4ts.oid=8223671

Simply format flash drive with FAT32, then mount HP server DVD and copy all content onto flash drive. In my case I had to split install.wim file before copying it. This was because the file had 6GB, which is beyond the limit of allowed file size on FAT32 (4GB max). I used dism.exe to achieve this (dism.exe I found in the same folder as install.wim):

Dism /Split-Image /ImageFile:C:\install.wim /SWMFile:D:\imaging\install.swm /FileSize:4000

That created two files - install.swm and install2.swm - which simply had to be copied into the sources folder on USB flash drive.

Finally folder efi\microsoft\boot had to be copied one level up in the directory structure and some file had to be extraced from install.wim to replace another file on USB flash drive (I used my default unzip tool for that: 7-Zip).

This flash drive then was able to boot into Server 2012 R2 setup on my ML150 Gen9.

Regards,
Stefano