1753587 Members
6464 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: No free IRQs for NIC

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

No free IRQs for NIC

When trying to install NT (fresh install) onto a brand new ML530 with Smart Array 5300 controller I am getting blue-screens after the network installation section, when the intel based NIC is installing it gives the opportunity to test the card, when this is being done it fails on the loopback test. I suspect this is something to do with resources.

Other information: 512MB P3 800 Xeon, DLT 40 / 80, I used Smart Start to prepare the server and everything else seems to working fine.

Regards

Mike Packman
IT Manager
Nera Ltd.
4 REPLIES 4
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

There is a known issue with the ML530 concerning conflicts with the BIOS and the NC that ships with the ML530. Try the latest BOOS which was released just a few days ago.
Whatever you do, DO NOT back rev your BIOS if you are running high end processors no matter what Compaq tells you!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

dont install the intell NIC, use the compaq disk for that particular NIC....the intell driver as installed by NT is obviously (3 years out) not going to do it.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I am receiving a similar problem. I have updated the server using all the latest ROM's etc. as per Insight manager, and used the Compaq driver for the network card from the beginning. When the server rebuts after setting the team, it blue screens and is driving me mad. Any other suggestions?

Regards

Steve Tin gay
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

You can download the latest ROM BIOS update for the ML530 from this web address.

http://www5.compaq.com/support/files/server/us/download/9376.html

Also make sure both NICs are models that have network controllers that support network teaming. Also verify that the two network controller drivers that were installed are the latest versions and support teaming. See this Compaq customer advisory about NIC teaming installation problems at this web address.

http://www.compaq.com/support/techpubs/customer_advisories/EM000516_CW01_0.html