1753744 Members
5090 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

No post no video

rc_5
Occasional Advisor

No post no video

ze 5170 unit powers up reads the cd (seems to)drive and fans come on and off but no video. No hard drive. Booting off CD. CPU gets warm. Tried to plug in a monitor and still get a blank screen after hitting the function monitor button. There is no back light or printing on lcd! should I buy a s video cord and try it as well? What is the worst case senario? Any I ideas? Could the bios be at issue here?
Thanks Gang!
5 REPLIES 5
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Re: No post no video

Hi,

Friend you are refering to any server. I guess not.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

RC:

Your 5170 Laptop may have an interconnect problem...
Does the laptop beep (make a sound or series of sounds at POST)?
The video may not be getting power because of a loose connection or that one of the daughter boards is lifted from the mainboard.
Alternatively, the LCD may have a disconnect at the power board.
All of these require you to "open" the laptop up for service and this action can void any waranty you may have. In either case, you likely want to have a service center check it out.
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Pat Flanagan
Honored Contributor

RC

You can try this. Might not be your problem, but it worked here on a Win2K machine, and it can't hurt anything.

I had one workstation exhibiting exactly the same symptoms as yours. After working on it extensively, I thought I'd ruled out everything but the monitor. It was simpler to unplug the computer and move it to a different location than to move another monitor to where it normally sits. At the other location, plugged it in, and it worked fine, so I concluded it was the original monitor. I then moved it back to it's original location, and for the heck of it, plugged it in, and booted. Again it worked fine. The key turned out to be unplugging the computer.

Bottom line with this machine is that I discovered that whenever it booted and I got no video, I could work around that by manually turning off the computer, unplugging the power cord from the computer, leaving it unplugged for about a minute, then plugging it back in, and booting it. It always boots normally, with normal vidio after this procedure. Still don't know the exact reason, but it works every time.

Good luck with it,
Pat
rc_5
Occasional Advisor

I removed all of the RAM 256m turned on the laptop and got a 1331 post put one card back in and it booted fine put the other back in place and viola it worked!! Nothing else was done. Video is 10x10.
Explain that one!!

Thanks Gang!

Pat Flanagan
Honored Contributor

RC,

Oops. Should have noticed that your model is a laptop. Sorry.

Also, can't explain it, but if it works...

Thanks,
Pat