1748180 Members
4066 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: No power,( not the supplies)

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

No power,( not the supplies)

Ok, I have already ordered many parts for this server. It was being used for spare parts to fix 6 other broken ones I had. I'm putting this one back together, and it won't turn on. Another tech who worked on it just informed me he had the same problem and that's why we started using it for parts.

I put the power supplies in another server and they work fine. I put the supplies from the other server into this one, nothing, no lights on the supplies but the fans spin up.

I measured the voltages and I am not getting power to the on /off switch. I am getting a 5 volt output from the supplies but that is all.

I am sure at this point it is either the backplane or the "main board" with the PCI slots. Any help on how to narrowing it down? Unfortunately I don't have the other server to play "swap-tronics" with any more.

I have gone over the wiring about 12x (not exaggerating), everything is correctly seated and or plugged in....
5 REPLIES 5
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

I would be looking at the Power Supply Back plane board. If you need further assistance please contact our Technical Support line at 1-800-ok-compaq.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Sunil,

I removed the backplane board from the server and gave it a good visual inspection. There are no bent pins, burnt or missing components, or damaged connectors. I don't have a spare to try either.

I contacted the support center and was told to try putting the server in the "basic configuration". Meaning, one processor and one stick of memory.(I already knew the processors and memory were good but, hey whatever at this point) I gave it a shot but it didn't help any.

Looks like I'll be contacting the support center again.
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Ricky,
Please give Tech support a call at your convenient time and we will help you troubleshoot the problem.
Have a good day.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Sunil,

I took another look at the power supply backplane. The large pins for the orange connectors, some have of them had their solder joints break free of the pads on the circuit board and were not making contact. I'll be calling. BTW< you don't post on the EasyDos board do you?
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Ricky,
I am sure it is your BackPlane Board which is causing you all the trouble. If your server is still under Warranty please feel free to call Tech Support at 1-800-OK-COMPAQ to get the replacement.
No I dont post on the EasyDos forum. Actually I am not even aware of such a forum.
Regards