1753818 Members
8867 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

No signal on monitor - possible boot failure

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

No signal on monitor - possible boot failure

I have a boot problem with a 4500R. The system powers-up, the array powers-up and initialises, the CD-Rom tray works but I get no signal on the monitor. I believe it could just be the onboard graphics connecter but I'm concerned that the disks don't have any activity (read/write) once they have initialised i.e. boot sequence. Any ideas?? .. Is this normal? Would the system halt from booting if the graphics card fails?

I have re-seated everything and checked the manual to ensure everything is in the right place. I do have one concern however... I have read that the simms should be inserted in fours. I bought my system second-hand and it came with only two simms. Could this cause the problem?
3 REPLIES 3
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: No signal on monitor - possible boot failure

I believe I have solved the problem. It was indeed the memory that was causing the problem. I put in another two simms and booted the server. The screen came on and the system began to boot. The system halteed at POST however with a memory error and wouldn't let me go any further. I just have to get my hands on some 4500R memory now!!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

What specific memory error? It may only require you to run System Configuration to fix this...
The Apple Core

The SIMMs have to be identical. Actually, I ran into a similar no signal on monitor problem. No signal on the monitor is caused by a problem with your processor card. What that problem is, I don't know. Take a close look at the card and make sure the chip is seated. A glance at all those little L2 cache chips wouldn't hurt either.