ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748198 Members
2607 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

No video on a new (refurbed) HP ProLiant DL320

Phil Poole

No video on a new (refurbed) HP ProLiant DL320

This may be very simple for one of you. I work for an International School and was recently donated a couple of HP ProLiant DL320's by a local business here. For the record, I am Dell guy, so I am new to HP products.

According the the tech guy that previously had them, they worked perfectly but erased the Hard Drives as normal security measure for donations.

Now that I them, I can get them to power up but I cannot seem to get them to show any video.

I have tried booting up with changing jumpers, etc. and been reading up online and talked to some HP guys and found it could be a security or iLO 2 feature(?). But there is no exact documentation to tell what is wrong or what to do here.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I would really appreciate some direction.

Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: No video on a new (refurbed) HP ProLiant DL320

I hope you are referring to ProLiant DL320 G1 server.

Is the front panel Internal Health LED red?
Are any system board LEDs showing a failure or error condition?

Power down the server. Reseat all expansion boards, DIMMs, processors, and PPMs. Reseat all cable connections.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Phil Poole

Awesome, thanks for the quick response!!

I actually have ProLiant DL320 G4 if that makes a difference.

Your question: Is the front panel Internal Health LED red?

When it turn it on, it screams like a jet engine, I know this sound to be normal for servers but this stays continual, doesn't go away. Possible problem?
The Front lights are green. Well, the only one is the health monitor. The 2 NIC lights don't show because I don't have them connected to the switch neither does the Hard Drive light probably because there is no HD activity.

Your Question: Are any system board LEDs showing a failure or error condition?

All show Green, there are some lights by the jumpers that flash Green, not sure, if that is a concern or not. They then go away. I see no Red lights at all.

You: Power down the server. Reseat all expansion boards, DIMMs, processors, and PPMs. Reseat all cable connections.

Done and done! I took my time on each in hopes of being more thorough and making sure each is 100%. It looks alright from my perspective, lots of green lights.

And still no video... :(

Anything on the iLO feature? I have heard this could be the problem. I don't anything about this and have reset the jumpers to disable the security but that didn't do anything as well.

I also tend to think the screaming fans could be a problem with it also. I am going to looking into the hardware connections to see if there is something I am missing.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi!

Well about the iLO -> afaik there is an iLO security override jumper you can set. When it's set you don't need a password to log on to the iLO web interface.

You should still be able to access the iLO via Ethernet even if you don't know the password. Try to connect it to a switch and see if it lights up.

Is this the same on all the DL320s you got donated? I'm just saying if some are working, then you can compare the leds to see if you can find a difference between a working and a non-working one.

There should also be a clear NVRAM jumper on that system maintenance switch.

I'm not sure about the fans, it may be that they will spin like that fast until the OS driver that controls them is loaded.

About all the cables etc: did you try to run it in barebone/minimal config? As few DIMMs, CPUs, disconnect hdds etc as possible?
Ali
HPE Pro

HI there,

addition to the previous post...

try the base configuratio with minimum h/w installed... e.g. with 1 processor and min memory etc...)

clear the NVRAM / system configuration from the switch.

try with different monitor\

ILO is good option to check such issues provided it is configured and you know the credentials.

thanks,
Aftab
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Yeah, if iLO is set up to DHCP you may get lucky. Just hook it up to the TCP/IP network where a DHCP server is running and you may find the IP in the DHCP server :)
Phil Poole

Guys, thanks for all the input.

I got one more thing that could be the problem. They formatted the Hard Drives when they gave these up. Is the Bios added on the Hard Drives or is it on the circuit board? I know old Compaq's had this feature, I was wondering if when they formatted the drives, it deleted the firmware (video, etc).

Any ideas on this?
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

BIOS is on the server board. Upgrade the firmware on everything you have first. Create your RAID arrays on the hard drives. Install your OS. If all the hardware is functional. ILO is configured at post. You should get video working unless the server board and/or power supplies are damaged. This is why I never buy refurbed servers.