1753792 Members
7329 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: No video

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

No video

I have recently built three of these servers with NT4 SP6 using Smartstart 5.30 , all installed ok ,but on two of the models we lose the video whenever the system does a warm reboot. To clear it we have to power the server off.
The server uses the Smart 5i controller and has an NC4621 token ring Nic in it. I have applied the latest Support Paq and Rom upgrades .
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have recently purchased two ML370 G2's and I am having the exact same problem you have on both of them. On a warm boot, the system appears to hang, no video, all power lights are on and indicators are green and no POST beeps or anything. Have to cold boot. I think it might have something to do with the BIOS rev because I have several other of these machines that don't have this problem and the first thing I did with these was flash them to the latest BIOS rev (P25 12/11/2001) and after that, they hang on a warm boot and I can't get into the RBSU by hitting F9, it just hangs with a flashing cursor on a DOS screen.

The machines are as follows:

ML370 G2
System BIOS - P25 - 12/11/2001
2 x 1.266 processors
5300 Array Controller - BIOS 2.32
3 x 18.2 GB harddrives RAID 5
2 x Intel Pro 100 S NICs.

Sounds like we have a problem here, can anyone from Compaq respond?

Thanks,
Bob
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I am having the same problem. 370G2,1.4, 5302 with 12/11/01. Add one more to the pool....
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Did either of you flash the BIOS from 8/2001 firmware to the 12/11/2001 firmware? That's what I did and that is when I was seeing the problem. I couldn't even get into the RBSU (F9 prompt) to fall back to the backup ROM. I ended up setting the dip switch on the motherboard to clear the NVRAM and then it let me back into the RBSU and I was able to switch back to the backup ROM and rebooted and it now warm boots fine. I believe there is a problem either with the 12/2001 ROM or with flashing from an older ROM to the 12/2001 ROM.

I called Compaq and opened a case, I don't know if it will get anywhere though.

Bob
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I had my internal NIC diabled. I found that when I re-enabled it through the BIOS the warm boot problem went away. Definately A BIOS issue.....
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I had my onboard NIC disabled as well. It looks like disabling it on the 12/2001 BIOS is a problem, but not on the 8/2001 BIOS.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

There are 2 places with the RBSU to "disable" the NIC: "System Options" and "PCI Devices". This error will occur ONLY when it's disabled under "PCI Devices". If it's disabled under "System Options" (but enabled under "PCI Devices"), the error will NOT occur.

Also, once the error has occurred, access to the RBSU via F9 will fail. You must clear NVRAM using Switch 6 in order to gain access to the RBSU so you can re-enable the NIC.