1748159 Members
3681 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Noise from Fan W2k.

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Noise from Fan W2k.

Is there anything that can be done to reduce the noise that is coming from the system fan? Tech support stated that the noise would be reduced upon installation of Windows 2000 Server. There hasn't been any reduction in noise since the Os was installed. The fan appears to constantly run at full speed. ML350. Please advise.
11 REPLIES 11
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have an ML350 and run 2000 server. Its fan is very noisy. It doesn't make a difference what OS you run. The fan is a mechanical device. Get a quieter fan.
That's what I'm searching for.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

replay from Compaq's Forum ...

do you have Compaq's NT 4.0 SD installed (the "System Management Driver" handles the fan speed and if it's not there, the fan may run at full speed all the time)?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Try this one ... it's help you to resolve fan noise problem

http://www.compaq.com/support/files/server/us/download/9689.html
Giovanni Golinelli

I've a Proliant DL380 G3 with fan noise too.
I verify and installed the latest firmware, system Mangement and all driver, but the problem still remain. I don't find the fan speed option in the RBSU, can somenone help me?

Bye, Gio.
Giovanni Golinelli
Claude Boileau
Valued Contributor

Hi Giovani,

Is the problem is the loud fans: if
clearing the NVRAM, BIOS update, install systems management driver does not resolve try to reseat the PCI riser cage, with PCI Hot Plug and riser boards.

regards

I have the same problem as Giovanni - have tried the reseat to no avail. Are there any more suggestions? Thanks.
beat steiner
Occasional Advisor

What happens when you boot the SmartStart CD?
After somewhat more than 5 lines of dots
(i.e. booting the RedHat Linux Kernel),
the fan speed should reduce.

There is also a BIOS setting for default fan
speed. Maybe in the advanced menu.

On my RedHat 8.0 install, the fan speed goes
down after starting the drivers I installed
from the SmartStart CD.

-- Beat
Sydney Delieu

I have a DL380 G3 - I have been told to install the Proliant Support Pack. Did this. I was then told that if the noise persisted to install the latest ROMPaq.

When I try to install the ROMPaq, I get a "Flash Programming Locked" error. Has anyone else run into this? How do I get around it. I am desperately trying to make my DL380 G3 less noisy.

Any help will be really appreciated.
Jeff Engel

Remove all power to the server for 30 seconds or more...and then try to update the BIOS...worked for me.