4445 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Noise problem DL320 G2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jim Stratton_2

Noise problem DL320 G2

I'm having a similar problem to that in the thread titled "Noise problem DL360 G3" (http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x241c5bd3782dd711abdc0090277a778c,00.html), except that I've got a brand-new DL320 G2.

I found a ROMPaq for the DL320 (ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp23501-24000/SP23767.txt and ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp23501-24000/SP23767.exe) which "Added a ROM Based Setup Utility (RBSU) feature that allows the user to slow down the default system fan speed".

Sure enough, after I applied the update, I was able to change "default fan speed" from "normal" to "low".

However, the volume of the sound only went from "very loud" to "loud".

I know the system can run quietly. When I boot off the SmartStart CD (release 6.10), the sound goes from "loud" to "quiet" - even before SmartStart has finished loading (e.g., the fans get quiet before it asks me to pick a language).

The DL360 thread mentions maintenance switch S3. It's off by default on the DL320, but the position of this switch doesn't have any effect on this noise (e.g., the sound is either "very loud" or "loud" regardless of S3's position).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jim

P.S. I've installed Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES on this system. I haven't done anything beyond the base install, but I haven't had any problems so far.
8 REPLIES 8
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor
Solution

I'd recommend installing the systems management driver:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/16849.html
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Jim Stratton_2

Terry - that was the answer. When the system boots, as it gets to "Starting hpasm", the system gets quiet.

Thanks for your quick response,

Jim
Peter Turner

We have a Proliant DL320 G2 running Redhat 9.0 would this systems management driver work under this?
Phillip Williams_2
Respected Contributor

Peter:

HP lists a different driver for Red Hat, but not for 9.0 only up to 8.0... see this @
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/18522.html

I do not know if it would work but I guess worth a try (backup first....!)

HTH

Phillip
The world is divided into 10 types of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't
Darrell Scott

Has anyone carried out a noise assessment on the DL320's

If you have can you let me know what your results were, mine was 92db(a)which is over the second action level of the noise regs.

Thanks...Darrell
Phillip Williams_2
Respected Contributor

Darrell:

HP's Quickspecs (current version just downloaded attached) lists Page 29 acoutsic specs.

IMHO , altho I don't understand the metrics, if yours is significantly outwith the spec I would have thought your resller (or HP if Direct) should fix it....

HTH

Phillip
The world is divided into 10 types of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't
Darrell Scott

Philip,

Thanks for replying, I'd found and read the attached Tech Spec but never understood the figures either, they look like nothing we would use.

Can anyone help us out here.

Acoustic Noise Idle
(Fixed Disk Drives Spinning)
L WAd (BELS) 6.1
L pAm (dBA) 541

Operating
(Random Seeks to Fixed
Disks)
L WAd (BELS) 6.2
L pAm (dBA) 52

Thanks Darrell
Anthony Vaz_2