Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noise problem DL360 G3

SOLVED
Go to solution
Stein Waalen
Occasional Advisor

Noise problem DL360 G3

My brand new DL360 G3 server makes too much noise. Compaq support suggests replacing the fans, but that is really not the case. The problem is that when starting the server the fans goes up to their highest speed, but instead of going down to a slower level after a while it stays on top speed making a crecendo.
My guess is that the temperature measure thingy is defect.
Have tried to install the lastes CPQ Support Pack with no luck.
NB! Most servers are these features controlled by software, but the DL360 i shardwarecontrolled.
-Keep riding in circles
52 REPLIES
Peter Maragua
Occasional Visitor

Re: Noise problem DL360 G3

You have not mentioned the room temparature or the rack temparatue, if it is to high the fun speed will not come down, the speed come's down as a way of telling you the machine is cool, you idea could also be true.
Systems Engineer
Stein Waalen
Occasional Advisor

The server har yet to be put into a rack, it is brand new. The room temperature is 20 - 24 C. which should be ok as the server is not critical until 35 C.
If the server gets critically hot it has a led on the motherboard that will light up red or amber. This has not happened.
-Keep riding in circles
Stein Waalen
Occasional Advisor

Follow up:
Compaq/HP support claims the noise problem is by design as the fans are harwarecontrolled (not softwarecontrolled as they used to be) and can not be slowed down neither via software nor hardware. Anyone else have this problem ?
-Keep riding in circles
Bart_7
Occasional Advisor

Hello stein,

We have exact the same problem, we purchased two brand new servers to deliver to customers. after setting only one up it's impossible to stay in the server room due to the howling of 1 server. Imagine what it would give with their advertised 40 servers in one rack.
I installed smartstart , win 2000 and then again the support packs, to see if it could be the management driver.
i logged a call with hp and after a while got the same answer, that it's controlled by hardware and not by drivers. i told they were crazy to say it would be by design. in a full rack you would need threedouble sound isolation around your serverroom.
Our supplier is looking into it from their side.

My customer says if it's gonna make noise like that i can take it back and bring him another server.

just wondering , didn't nobody notice this in testing ????
Siegmar Jeroma
Occasional Visitor

Hy, we have the same problem her in germany with 20 DL360G3.
The noise problem is that this server is new designed and have components inside there need more cooling.
This server ship with standart 7 fans.The DL360G1 and G2 ships with 1 fan.
Comapq says that most servers are these features controlled by software, but the DL360G3 is hardware controlled.
The live is to short
Bart_7
Occasional Advisor

or ceo decided to send the servers back to hp and buy other servers.

We will formally make a complaint to their complaints department regarding the exessive noise produced.

We suggest that everybody does the same in their country.

Maybe they can find a fix for it rapidly that way.

In the meantime we will purchase our servers from other brands.

bart
Stein Waalen
Occasional Advisor

Hi all
We have also decided to return the DL360 G3 server, even thought Compaq Support have replied to me that "we have got many complaints about the noise problem, and it is being discussed internally". My customer; a radio-station has 8 racks with various computer, networking and sound systems, and refuses to put the DL360 G3 server in there as it completely "outsounds" the other equipment, leaving the place impossible to work in.
My sales-manager is currently looking for a similar Compaq server to replace the DL360 G3.
<>
I bet that in a months time or so the DL360 G3 will be reissued with different hardware, or softwarecontrolled fans.
Thank you all for your replies, and good luck with your systems.
-Keep riding in circles
Bart_7
Occasional Advisor

Can anyone from hp on this forum comment on their progress and strategy.
Bart_7
Occasional Advisor

bump
Robert Cashman
Occasional Visitor
Solution

Hi there,
I'm the product manager in EMEA for the ProLiant DL360 G3 and we are very much aware of the fan noise concerns. We are addressing this issue and will provide the following fix to address these concerns:

A ROM update will be available in ~2 weeks that will enable fan speed control on the DL360 G3. An ambient room temperature of 25 degrees C or lower will result in the slowest fan speed. The ROM will allow the health driver to adjust the fan speed of the power supply and processor fans accordingly up to the maximum supported ambient room temperature of 35 degrees C.

I hope this will now be a satisfactory solution for our customers, please feel free to respond with any additional comments.
Darren Webb
Advisor

Could anybody tell me if this is a problem on any other servers, because I just turned on a new ML370 G2 and it seems to be very noisey indeed. Almost as if.... the fans were stuck on!
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

Darren- depending what firmware your G2 is at, the default fan speed (can be changed in RBU - F9 at boot) is set to high. If the OS you are using has the CPQ health drivers installed, it will throttle down the fan untill the temperature changes. If your OS does not support the health driver, you can set it to LOW during boot in the advanced menu I believe.
Michael Golod
Occasional Visitor

When I turn the DL 360 server on for the first time, people came to my room to ask why I am using vacuum cleaner on the morning :-)Compaq managed to put such a power to this machine's fans, so if you connect a pair of wings to it's case - I think it will fly away.
What about our ears??? Am I need to purchase some headphones or, you guys in Compaq, really plan to do something about this problem?
Mr. Robert Cashman, thank you for your response, but for some reason local suppliers (at least here in Israel) still say that this behavior of DL 360 is "normal".

Best regards.
Nicolas Florange
Occasional Advisor

We experienced also the same noise problem even if the QuickSpecs specifies 59dBA of acoustic noise in normal operating mode (we supposed that 80dBa would be a better approximation of the noise). Our customer wishes to replace DL360G3 servers with other servers! We asked him to wait for a fixe, but we really hope that HP will provide a free hardware or software fixe as soon as possible!
Marco da Silva_1
Occasional Visitor

The solution to this problem can be find at this link :

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17306.html

After the application of this patch, we can sleep quoted a DL360 G3...
Stein Waalen
Occasional Advisor

Thanx to Compqaq for providing the patch. Updated the SystemROM yesterday and the imediate result was almost deafening :-)..........a sigh of relief went through a bunch of co-workers! Thanx to everybody who supported this issue, and this forum entry.....keep up the good work everyone !
-Keep riding in circles
Theo Hill_1
Honored Contributor

One thing to be aware of is the risk of overheating. Hopefully people don't think it is ok to just throw these under a desk now in normal tempetures.
Brian_166
Occasional Visitor

I have installed the latest DL360 G3 ROM (P31 from 2003/02/07, released 2003/02/20), and I have the health driver loaded. The fans are still running at full speed and full volume. cpqimlview doesn't give any informational messages about fan speed being adjusted.

Doug Ortman
Advisor

I installed the patch and after a reboot, the fans immediately throttled down to a slower speed, even before I applied the health agent.
This is an educated guess, but there's probably a temperature sensor in there somewhere. If your fans are still running on high speed, maybe your environment is still too hot. Do you have good air flow around the server?
Stein Waalen
Occasional Advisor

Brian
Try updating the BIOS from the boot diskette, not the online one.
-Keep riding in circles
ak_
Advisor

I have the same problem as Brian. After BIOS ROM Update to Version 4.02 02/07/2003 on DL360G3 running Windows NT 4 got the same noice as before Update. I mean its really uncool cause we got 4 from them in one rack placed. I plan actually to run SMARTSTART 6.2 over the system again, but not really sure that this will helps.
Any suggestions?
Also i read about Health Driver, is it possible that the Driver must be reinstalled? What for one i shell use?

Thanks and Best Regards on the Community.

ak_
ak_
Advisor

I have the same problem as Brian. After BIOS ROM Update to Version 4.02 02/07/2003 on DL360G3 running Windows NT 4 got the same noice as before Update. I mean its really uncool cause we got 4 from them in one rack placed. I plan actually to run SMARTSTART 6.2 over the system again, but not really sure that this will helps.
Any suggestions?
Also i read about Health Driver, is it possible that the Driver must be reinstalled? What for one i shell use?

Thanks and Best Regards to the Community.

ak_
ak_
Advisor

Sorry, me again.

i used bootdisk to update BIOS ROM, it was not online update.
Stein Waalen
Occasional Advisor

It could be a Windows NT 4.0 problem. Try running the Support Pack on affected systems.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/16263.html (for NT 4.0)

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/16259.html (for Windows 2000)
-Keep riding in circles