1752795 Members
6230 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Noisy Proliant ML370 G4

NullN
Occasional Advisor

Noisy Proliant ML370 G4

This is wind noise, not other type of noise. I installed Ubuntu and it was noisy. I tried to use fancontrol, but it couldn't detect the fans (following some guide on the web). The xsensors shows 8 degree Celsius, which probably is wrong, because that's colder than room temperature.

Sick of it, I installed the Proliant support pack. It gave some error, but still ran. Use the management page, I could see that it says the fans were running normal. However, I didn't trust the Linux version of the PSP since I saw some tracker about it, which basically say the software was pretty faulty.

So, I install Windows 2003, with all the latest drivers, ROM and PSP. Again, it says the fans are operating normal.

This raises a question of whether there is a problem to start with.

In the next room, I would still hear the fans with the door closed. However, some people actually described their server as quiet. This server is very loud, and then goes down in noise after 3 to 5 seconds. Some people say on the web that the PSP would reduce the noise. So, I would assume the server will run until the PSP software started. That would take much more than 3 to 5 seconds. So, I would say even after my PSP software started, the noise level didn't go down.

What can I do? Is there a third party software to see the fan speed, voltage, temperature sensors for each fan, or each group of fans?

The management software only shows normal status, and that's it.

What does your server sound like? Really loud until Windows or Linux started up before it is quiet down, or quiet down right away? Is there a ROM settings that I can use?
3 REPLIES 3
NullN
Occasional Advisor

I found a thread:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/ML370-G4-Fan-Speeds/m-p/5208906#M121139

I got the latest PSP and also latest ROM (version 2007/07/19).

I wonder which ROM version was the user updated to. I also performed update of the ROM again.

Nothing helps so far.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hey, do you have any settings in regards to the fan speed etc in BIOS?
NullN
Occasional Advisor

I couldn't find any setting that is related to Fan speed, so I would say no.