108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Non-HP SATA disks on ML350 G6

SOLVED
Go to solution
Anthony E. Scandora, Jr
Occasional Contributor

Non-HP SATA disks on ML350 G6

A 517429-005 (ML350 G6) has a Smart Array P410i/256MB controller but no drives in its cage. I would like to use a pair of Western Digital RE3 (3.5" 3 GB/S SATA) WD1002FBYS 1 TB/32 MB cache disks in a RAID-1 array.

Other postings have written certain older SATA drives do not work, and in three online chat sessions none of the three different HP support reps was able to give me a part number for the carrier tray.

I've had good results with the WD RE3 line in server RAID-1 and RAID-5 arrays. Not only that, an HP-branded 1 TB SATA disk is around $600, compared to the WD RE3 for around $150. Certainly there is a price premium for the HP brand and a carrier, but a factor of four is way out of line.

Can I expect a pair of WD RD3 SATA disks to work in a RAID-1 array on a P410i/256MB controller in an ML350 G6?

If so, what is the part number of the disk carrier tray?
3 REPLIES 3
Ken Krubsack
Trusted Contributor

Re: Non-HP SATA disks on ML350 G6

I wouldn't bet on non-HP drives working. They have specific firmware that lets 'em work with the array controllers. And you probably won't get much support from HP if you have problems.
Anthony E. Scandora, Jr
Occasional Contributor

I just opened a genuine HP Midline 500GB 3.5" SATA Hot Swap disk CDW # 1468966 for $330. It's a Seagate Barracuda ES.2 with an HP part number on a Seagate label. The same disk with a Seagate part number is CDW # 1281742 for $85.

Going up to 1TB, the HP-branded disk is CDW # 1465753 for $620. The Seagate-branded ES.2 is CDW # 1242054 for $160.

I'm happy to pay a price premium for a vendor part number that inherits the server's warranty when you plug it in, but a factor of almost 4 for the exact same product is way out of line, even if it does come in a $25 tray that is nothing but a tray with a handle and has no wires or electronic parts.

And if there's custom firmware maybe it supports HP management utilities, but it most likely plugs into an industry-standard SAS/SATA controller. Would they sabotage the SAS/SATA controller so that it only recognizes HP firmware on their own vendors' disks?

Do they do the same with large systems? Do ProLiant servers only work with StorageWorks SANs but not EMC?
Ken Krubsack
Trusted Contributor
Solution

This isn't limited to HP. Dell, IBM, Sun, they all pull the same stuff.

I've had issues with "other" drives in HP gear so the places I've worked have just decided to go with HP drives all the way through.

The only other thing I'd say is that if you have non-HP drives in an HP array, it'll make it real easy for HP to say "We ain't gonna support the non-HP stuff" - which just might mean the whole array system.