1752568 Members
5250 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Non-System Disk after Smartstart created System Partition

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Non-System Disk after Smartstart created System Partition

The server is a new one and has a Smart3200 Array controller installed in Slot2 which has both SCSI channels connected to the internal Duplex SCSI chassi. The Duplex terminator is installed on the chassi.

I booted the server with SmartStart 4.80. I used the assisted mode.
After the hardware setup is done it says that "Your boot controller is set to the Smart Array 3200 controller.

Then Smartstart enters the Array configuration Utility. I create 2 RAID 1 sets and all seems to be fine.
After finnished the Array setup the server reboots and I get the error: Non-System disk or disk error.

The server does not try to boot from the CD it seems that it tries to boot from the disk dystem instead.

I tried to run the system Erase Utility and started all over but getting the same result. I also boot on Compaq Setup disketts but all seems to be correct. On the CD I can only disable it or set it to secondary controller order.

Whats wrong??
4 REPLIES 4
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

One more thing. I have upgraded the system with the lastest ROMPAQ and checked the software revision on the controller which was the latest one.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Are you sure it's saying the the array controller IS set to boot, or maybe it's saying it's NOT set to boot...? If it's the later (check in System Config), that's why it's failing to boot.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I am having a very similiar problem during the reconfiguring of a 5500. The return message is "your boot controller IS set to Smart array controller. I was wandering if there was a resolution to this.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have the similar problem also, I already upgrade all the BIOS ROM but still cannot solve it, right now BIOS is 11 Sep 2000, smart 3200 Array Controller with rev 4.5 A (latest one), and also I update all the SCSI hardisk firmware.

Last time I had this problem, but after I upgrade the hardisk firmware then it was working, but now the other machine won't work with this method. Any solution? Thks. By the way, I had these problems on 4 machines proliant 5500 expecially with smart 3200 Controller.