5748 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Non-system disk or disk error on Proliant ML370 G3

Ryan Mac
Occasional Advisor

Non-system disk or disk error on Proliant ML370 G3

Hi all,

We have a proliant ML370 G3 with a 3 disk RAID 5 configuration. The RAID controller is an HP Smart Array 641 (64 MB).

This morning the server will not boot, it gives the "Non-system disk or disk error" message. There are no floppy disks or CD/DVDs in it.

The 3 RAID drives all have green lights. Is it a fair assumption that the RAID controller has failed? If not, would you offer any suggestions for troubleshooting?

Thanks in advance for any help.

(I also posted this under disk array -- it's domain controller and exchange server.)
5 REPLIES 5
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

What does the RAID controller say about the array on POST? Non-System disk error means the array has failed or corrupted the C: drive.

Microsoft and Novell don't recommend RAID 5 for OS or paging. You should use only RAID 1 or 10 for OS and paging file. RAID 5 problems can corrupt the OS partition causing you to have booting issue.

It could be a bad controller or a failed RAID configuration.
Ryan Mac
Occasional Advisor

Michael,

Thanks for the response. This machine was setup that way several years ago (not by me), and, in all honesty, has hot had any major problems in all that time -- maybe 7 or 8 years.

I realise that it's not an ideal setup, but we're a small nonprofit with limited funding.

Do you think the green lights on the 3 drives themselves might signify that they're ok, and that the problem looks like the RAID controller?
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Green lights mean no disk failed. Reboot go into the RAID controller at post and see what it has to show you? Does it show at post if the array exists or is degraded?Check the boot order in the CMOS and see if that changed.

If its a bad RAID controller, it may not post properly. Watch it as your turn it on. Report any issues.
Ryan Mac
Occasional Advisor

The RAID controller does show up in POST -- it doesn't look to have an obvious errors. I haven't gone into the RAID controller (not sure how that works) to look for any problems. I'm reluctant to change any RAID controller settings, since that computer has not had any configuration changes in a long time.

Do you know if I got a replacement controller would it be a case of physically swapping it out and expect the server to run again, or would it have to be installed/configured?
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

You could try replacing the controller. If the RAID arrays are intact. The new controller should find them. You might need to set the boot order for it. Access the current RAID controller and view the arrays. Don't change anything on it. Just see what the arrays look like and their health.