1753956 Members
7495 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Not find Hard Disk Error

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Not find Hard Disk Error

Help! I'm having problems install NT4 server on the above kit. The PC tells me it can't find a hard disk to install to and the installtion fails. The PC is fitted with the standard-shipped SCSI card and a 4GB SCSI disk. The only extra item is an IDE CD-rom (with is correctly detected by the NT install prog). The PC's hard disk has two partitions (1) Diag (2) Active, Win98 formated and 'SYS'ed.
I've tried the following without success....... 1) Pressing 'S' to display a list of supported SCSI host adapters, selecting 'other' and inserted the correct hardware driver. This is correctly detected, but still the install fails saying there is no disk to install to. 2) Flashing the BIOS to see if a got an extra boot options (I didn't) 3) Copying the NT i386 directory to the local disk and performing a bootdisk-less install (winnt /b /s:path)

How do I get NT to install on this kit? ANY ideas would be aprecated...

Thanks, Brian
2 REPLIES 2
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Not find Hard Disk Error

You need to verify your hardware configuration. Is the booting hard drive in the system IDE or SCSI? Then you need to set the boot controller order in the system BIOS. The booting controller must be first. Save the new hardware configuration to CMOS.

Next download and make the Compaq SSD for NT 4.0 from this web address.

http://www.compaq.com/support/files/server/us/download/9192.html

Scroll down to the floppy drive version. See the readme files on the disks for installation instructions. You have to use the install method to load the Compaq driver from the SSD during the NT 4.0 installation.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Not find Hard Disk Error

Have u tried using the smart start Cd and the other management Cd supplied by Compaq along with the server profile diskette? Use it and u would be able to install NT( or for that matter, any OS ) on the proliant.