8144 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Novell 5.1 install from Smartstart 6.x

Mark_120
Advisor

Novell 5.1 install from Smartstart 6.x

Hi,
I am trying to do the Novell 5.1-sp5 (overlay) install by running Smartstart 6.x.
I get as far as the install of the Novell services at which point the server just waits with the error of:
CCS.NLM:Initialization waiting for XMGR (nn sec)
Manual install works fine so I guess it has to be some issue with the new Smartstart ver 6.up cd's (Tried both 6.10 & 6.20)
Thanks - Mark
3 REPLIES 3
Mark_120
Advisor

Re: Novell 5.1 install from Smartstart 6.x

Forgot to mention the server is a DL-380 G3.
Smartstart install off the original NW5.1 sp1 cd seems to work ok...
Michael Garner_1
Honored Contributor

Mark,
There is a known problem with using overlay CDs with SS 6.00 to 6.30. The problem is that the installation program on Novell's overlays will overwrite one of the SS installation files that SS uses to correct problems with the NetWare installations. The file that Novell overwrites is called other.ics.

The SS developers have a fix for this that will be available with the next SS release due out in early July. Until this fix comes out, the only workaround is to use the base NetWare v5.1 media and apply SP5 after the OS has landed.
Mark_120
Advisor

Thanks Michael,
I suspected as much. I have found a workaround (sortof)by copying thre drivers directory and supportpaq directory of the SM cd to c:drive. Installinf NW off the overlay cd, and running the cpqdploy to install all the compaq updates.
This seems to work ok so far.

Thanks once again for the info.
Cheers,
Mark V