5520 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Nvidia PCI Graphics Card in Proliant ML150G3

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dr. Marcus Naraidoo

Nvidia PCI Graphics Card in Proliant ML150G3

I'll start by saying that I'm not trying to use a server for something it's not designed for. I'm not gaming. I'm not trying to use it as a graphics workstation.

What I want to do is have a better screen resolution than the on-board Matrox driver supports.

So, I want to use a PCI graphics card and the one I have is the following, see: http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/listConfigurationDetails.jspa?productConfigurationId=983

It has drivers for Win 98, ME, 2000, NT4 and XP. The OS I've installed in Win Server 2003 SP1 (version 5.2).

I've installed the card in the bottom (PCI) slot, and I've installed the drivers from the CD-ROM.

I boot the computer with the monitor attached to the PCI Graphics Card (analogue) output. There isn't a digital one - which is fine.

The POST messages come up. The OS installs and I see it all on the monitor, including the Win Server 2003 welcome screen.

However, just before I see the logon screen the monitor goes blank and I see nothing more.

I can swap the monitor cable from the PCI card to the on-board port and I get the logon screen. If I logon and swap the cable back again the screen goes blank again.

I've looked in the BIOS (F10 during POST) and see no way of disabling the on-board Matrox graphics driver. I can't see any way to change the graphics priority in the BIOS either.

I don't know whether there are any jumpers or switches on the motherboard that I can toggle to achieve the effect I want and I don't want to disable the Matrox graphics driver from the Computer Management console. (Although, if I did that and the installed Nvidia graphics drivers weren't compatible with the OS, the motherboard and the server, is there any way I could re-install them from a floppy during a re-boot?).

Is there any way I can change the graphics driver priority from the Computer Management console?

Is there any other way I can get the graphics card to work further than it does so far?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Marcus
6 REPLIES 6
Gus Kwong
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hi Marcus,

It sounds like both cards are working fine --- If you goto the Control Panel and Display (Setting), you should see 2 screens for the video cards installed. Click "Identify" and pick the one you want as Primary screen (there are checkboxes). Simply OK it afterwards.

Thanks,

Gus

Learning never ends
Dr. Marcus Naraidoo

Thank you, Gus.

That has worked perfectly.

I can now recommend the Nvidia FX5200 graphics card (mine is an XFXforce.com product) in ML150G3 Proliant servers. You can download the drivers from XFXforce.com.

Kindest regards, Marcus
Dr. Marcus Naraidoo

Gus provided the answer and I can confirm that the Nvidia FX5200 PCI graphics card (from XFXforce.com) works excellently in the ML150G3 Proliant server with drivers for Win Server 2003 SP1 available from XFXforce.com .
Nick Bauer
Occasional Contributor

I have a similar issue:
my PCI card works fine, however now the on board graphics doesn't work, and checking in the display control panel only shows 1 monitor. I would like to use 2. The BIOS shows the display adapter set to IRQ 10, and appears to be enabled. Is it possible to have the on board graphics working in conjunction with the PCI card, or will i be forced to use 2 PCI cards and abondon the on board feature?
Gus Kwong
Respected Contributor

Good to hear that Marcus! It would be great if you can assign the points.

Nick, does it show in Device Manager?
Learning never ends
Nick Bauer
Occasional Contributor

No, only one adapter is showing in the device manager, and it is the PCI card.