1752661 Members
5920 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Nvidia RAID 1 Rebuild speed

Craig_79
Frequent Advisor

Nvidia RAID 1 Rebuild speed

I have a ML 115 G5 using the latest drivers (5.10.2600.0998). I have 2 160 GB sata drives and it looks like a rebuild is going to take 10hr. Is that normal expectations?
8 REPLIES 8
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

install this software
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3577708&prodNameId=3577715&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-64b379e59a804fe2a97da98a1c

and enable cache or you can enable cache when server is posting and when controller shows up
pressing F8 and look for cache option

bye
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Craig_79
Frequent Advisor

I'll give the link a try. I don't recall seeing any cache option in POST, I'll recheck that also. BTW, the rebuild took over 12hrs. Hope I can get better rebuild time with this suggestion. Thanks
Craig_79
Frequent Advisor

After hitting F8 the options I have are Exit, Select, Set Bootable(greyed out), New Array(greyed out), and Details. Under Details I have options for, Rebuild, Delete, Clear MBR, and Return. The MediaShield BIOS screen says Apr 20 2007. Is there a newer version with the cache option? The server is an ML115 G5 with 4GB ram, 2 SATA 160GB drive, AMD Opteron Proc 2.2Ghz. BIOS is version 18. The software you had me install doesn't have a cache setting either. Rebuilds take 12hrs.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

I am afraid this nvidia SATA does not have that option like the normal intel SATA ones for instance in ml110 g5

so the software above recognizes controller but does not have any cache option?

bye
Craig_79
Frequent Advisor

so the software above recognizes controller but does not have any cache option?

No it does not. Do you think a new version is available? What do you suggest?
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

I think this controller does not have that option

I will need to check one of those servers maybe tonight to be sure
Craig_79
Frequent Advisor

What have you found, Karlo?
AycheKay
Advisor

I'm having a similar problem. I'm synchronizing my RAID 1 array right now and it's taking forever.

My specs are the same. ML115 G5 - (2) 160GB SATA Hard Drives on nVidia RAID Controller.

I'm not sure why they degraded in the first place. In fact, the RAID array is not reporting anything about being degraded but the performance dropped so severely and the task manager didn't show anything unusual so I finally concluded that it's a RAID issue, therefore I'm doing the synchronize thing from the nVidia MediaShield GUI in Windows.