New Discussion юеВ

Re: ODBR & Adaptec 29160 Scsi Card Urgent Please

SOLVED
Go to solution
rogerpatel
Advisor

ODBR & Adaptec 29160 Scsi Card Urgent Please

Hi,

We have a ML350g4 with 1 logical drive via a Smart array 6402. The server also has a PCI scsi 29160 card which has a external HP 460 Ultrium device attached to it. We use Brightstore 11.5 with the relavent agents to backup the server.

I understand the server has a feature called ODBR, can you please let me know if i can use ODBR as our Tape unit is connected to the Adpated 29160 card.

I have tried to boot the server and press F8 but can seem to get any ODBR menus, i have already set the card as the first boot device.

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17
Michael Richter
Trusted Contributor

Not sure if the Adaptec Card provides OBDR feature! please use the internal SCSI LSI U320 Controller or choose a HP brandet one

http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/compatibility/tapebackup/ISS/Detail/16-0023-0056.html

Compatible Controllers & Host Bus Adapters:

The HP ProLiant ML350 G4 has a suitable embedded SCSI channel for connecting the HP StorageWorks Ultrium 460 . If this channel is not available please use one of the following compatible HBAs:

374654-B21 - Single channel Ultra320 SCSI HBA G2

Compatibility Matrix ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/tape/OBDR/Compatibility_Matrices.pdf

for further informations visit
http://www.hp.com/go/obdr

Cheers
Mike

Michael Richter
Trusted Contributor

Perform the following steps to manually place an internal tape drive into OBDR mode:

1. Power down the server.
2. While holding down the eject button on the tape drive, apply power to the server.
3. Continue holding the eject button on the tape drive for approximately 5 to 8 seconds (See Note 1 below).
4. Verify server boots from the tape drive at the end of POST (See Note 2 below).

Perform the following steps to manually place an external tape drive into OBDR mode:

1. Power down the server and the tape drive.
2. Apply power to the server.
3. While holding down the eject button on the tape drive, apply power to the tape drive.
4. Continue holding down the eject button on the tape drive for approximately 5 to 8 seconds (See Note 1 below).
5. Verify that the server boots from the tape drive at the end of POST (See Note 2 below).

Note 1: For DAT drives, the two LEDs flash sequentially when a drive is successfully in OBDR mode. For Ultrium drives, the "Ready" LED follows a pattern of flashing twice followed by one pause when a drive is successfully in OBDR mode. For DAT Autoloaders, all three LEDS flash simultaneously when a drive is successfully in OBDR mode.

Note 2: If multiple SCSI HBAs are configured in the ProLiant server, the SCSI HBA with the attached tape drive must be first in the boot controller order in the server BIOS in order for OBDR to function properly. This is accomplished by performing the following steps:

Enter the F10 Setup Menu during POST and select the Boot tab.
Move the SCSI HBA with the attached tape drive to first in the boot controller order.
Save the changes and reboot the server.
Perform the steps for manually placing a tape drive into OBDR mode.
rogerpatel
Advisor

Sorry guys,

Can anyone confirm if the Adaptec Card will work or not ?

Thanks
Michael Richter
Trusted Contributor

is this card HP labeld or not?
rogerpatel
Advisor

The card was bought from HP as a HP Option.

on the main chip is a sticekr that says the following :
ASC-29160LP
HP CPB FH

On the card itself its stamped Adaptec scsi card 29160LP

On the Back of the card is a HP sticker

HP P/N # 0960-2148
3892L001

I cant find this card on the HP web site.

Michael Richter
Trusted Contributor

Roger,

seems that this card is an older HP Netserver Card .. i don't think this card supports OBDR feature ... please try the manually OBDR Workaround (like describe in the post above) .. if it doesn't work use the embedded controller or the optional one

cheers
Mike
rogerpatel
Advisor

Hi Mike,

Thanks for this.

I've tried the manula way and just cant get it to boot using the ODBR feature. I've decided to scrap it and start searching for a new controller.

In the meantim the server has a Smart Array 6402, it it possible for me to connect a tape drive this and try. In the past i have never used a Raid Ctrl for tape drives as i always thought it was not a good idea ?

Thanks
Michael Richter
Trusted Contributor

Cheapest Way is to buy 'ProLiant ML3xx Internal to External SCSI Cable Option Kit (HD68)' 159547-B22

this is suitable to work with OBDR as the Compatibility MAtrix shows in the postings above!

And yes, its not recommended or supportet to run the drive on a plugged SA Controller, if u decide to buy a new one, by the option which is listed above.

Think you've all needed Informations.

Have a nice Day!
Bye
Mike
rogerpatel
Advisor

Ok, need some more help here.

I have remvoed the Adaptec card and external HP Ultrium and installed a HP Ultrium 460 internal drive onto port A of the on board lsi scsi adaptor.

Booted server and set the Scsi adaptor as 1st boot device.

Booted server into windows and carried out a full backup in CA Arcserve 11.5 sp2, workd fine.

Now i would like to boot off the tape unit, i tried by pressing f8 and the boot secion then selected 1 for "obdr" and then selcting 0 for the scsi attached drive, and then nothing happens.

Can anyone please help here?