5846 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OEM License Hell..

Mark_Stevens
Occasional Contributor

OEM License Hell..

Hi

I'm new to this forum and never thought that I need to sign up for any, not that I think I know everything, but I always seem to get myself out of a muddle one way or another, with the help of forums such as this.

However, the time has come to call for help!

Here is my dilemma....

At present I have a HP Proliant ML115 G5 server that has been a pain in the ass since go!

Anyone who knows anything about these servers will know of the raid fiasco, however I;ve cracked that thanks to nlite.

However, the issue I have now is with licensing.

The server did not come with any discs, which I am to believe at this later stage, renders the server OEM 2003 SBS license attached, useless. IтАЩve installed with discs that I've downloaded from torrents and the server key will not work.

I've been in talks with HP (quite painful) and they are currently deciding what to do about sending me some OEM discs......whether that happens or not, who knows.

However, this server is for a customer, and it's needed by the end of next week.

Is there anyone or anywhere that I can download the OEM discs from, so that I can then activate the license with Microsoft (who incidentally have acknowledged the license is valid on 3 occasions...).

It's worth noting that the server is still under warranty until January 2012....

Please help as I'm pulling my hair out here, and if I go and buy a version, then I have to charge the customer more (I was naive regarding the OEM licenses however am much wiser now!)....

Rgds

Mark.
3 REPLIES 3
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

You can call Microsoft and order a media kit. If you have SA (Software Assurance), you go to your license portal page and download the ISOs. You then get your license keys.
Mark_Stevens
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately, MS do not want to know as the OEM license stipulates ROK HP, which MS advise is software that can only be supplied by HP.

I've received a response from HP and they have advised that downgrade rights to Windows 2003 ended on the 31st of March, so unless you can provide proof that you have a 2008 license from HP, you're knackered!

Total waste of time; I'm off to purchase a retail license.....
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Call my rep Bill Courtney @ IT1Source ,1-877-777-5995 x2032. He gives me good pricing on licenses and SA support from Microsoft. It is worth getting SA.