Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OES (SLES 9) and PSP 7.70

FrodeS
Occasional Visitor

OES (SLES 9) and PSP 7.70

Hi,

I've deployed some DL380 G5 servers running OES1 SP2 using RDP (Altiris). When I do this the PSP (I belive) makes a customized kernel which becomes the default selection in Grub. This works just fine. I have now updated/patched the OES server. The update also includes a new kernel. I reinstalled/upgraded the PSP so that the drivers would be updated. The reinstallation of PSP doesn't make a new kernel. Isn't it supposed to make a new kernel when thers a new kernel version?

Regards,
Frode
3 REPLIES
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

Re: OES (SLES 9) and PSP 7.70

Absolutely not!
PSP just installs new drivers, management agents, ACU/acucli, Insight Diagnostics... If you need to update the kernel and/or other packages - use YAST.
FrodeS
Occasional Visitor

Ok?

I have upgraded the kernel in YAST to from 2.6.5-7.244 to 2.6.5-7.283. What I don't understand is why PSP made a vmlinuz-2.6.5-7.244-bigsmp.HP and not a vmlinuz-2.6.5-7.283-bigsmp.HP. Is PSP supporting the 2.6.5-7.283 kernel?

--
FrodeS
Michael Garner_1
Honored Contributor

Frode,
The new initrd is made by the cpq_cciss RPM when it installs. The initrd is not a new kernel, just a new driver module that is used by the kernel to load the appropriate drivers during Linux startup.

The reason why you don't get one when you reinstall the PSP on the new kernel is because the cpq_cciss driver does not contain support for the new kernel. Support for later errata kernels in the cpq_cciss RPM will be available in the next PSP.

Until then, you can continue to use the cpq_cciss driver included in the OES1 SP2 kernel.

Regards,
Michael Garner
Linux PSP Developer