108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OS Upgrade suggestion

SOLVED
Go to solution
donkarnash_1
Frequent Advisor

OS Upgrade suggestion

Hi we have a DL380 G3, which we use as a file server. It has got 4 HDD. We also have a DL580 G2 server, which has 4 HDD & a SMA30 attached to it. Both of these servers are on NT and I want to upgrade the OS to 2003 server. Now, I have been suggested that I should do a clean install of the OS rather than upgrade from NT to 2003. I haven't done this before. Any suggestion how do I plan the upgrade. Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7
Mahesh1
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Hi,
U can use smartstart cd to install win2003 and through this u can configure raid and partition also and if u have any data in the server please take a backup and install 2003.

Regards
Mahesh Gowda
amhakassa
Honored Contributor

Hi Donk,

As a reminder, if you are planning to upgrade instead of a clean install
DO NOT USE SMART START CD
The reason why is, if you use smart start it will erase everything and do a clean install.

If you want an upgrade use the windows 2003 CD to install the OS, that way the installation processes detects you previouse installtion and prompot you the option to upgrade or clean install.

Regards
Amha Kassa
Tv_3
Respected Contributor

Hi, you can do an inplace upgrade without loosing data (but make sure you have a disaster recovery plan)

http://computerperformance.co.uk/w2k3/w2k3_migratevupgrade.htm

Sincerly
Chaos, Panic or Disaster??? Always Stay Calm, I will fix it.
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

If you plan to do an upgrade there are some very important prerequisites. One of them is running the Primer utility from Compaq. This prepares an NT system for a 2003 upgrade by removing all HP utilities that are not compatible is 2003.

Below are the like for an upgrade and clean install.

http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00208465/c00208465.pdf

http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00208463/c00208463.pdf
ThereтАЩs your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!
HGN
Honored Contributor

Hi

My suggestion would be to take a full system backup and do a fresh install of 2003 instead of upgrading which runs into lot of other problems.
Make sure you have all the drivers for 2003,you can start the OS install using the insight manager.

Rgds

HGN
donkarnash_1
Frequent Advisor

Thank you to all who replied. My concern about a clean setup is that I will have to create the array once again and partition and also will have to set the folder properties, sharing etc. Is that correct ?
But all the replies were helpful. I will start planning the upgrade. Thanks once again.
Colin_29
Trusted Contributor

The main benefits of an in place upgrade is that you retain all your settings (permissions on folders, shares etc). The down side is that you tend to retain the remnants of the previous installation but most of all you have the 4gb partition size inherited from nt.

I generally bite the bullet, blow the system away and start again (with a full backup tape in my back pocket of course).