1753792 Members
7656 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Obtaining a replacement hard drive

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Obtaining a replacement hard drive

I recently had a pluggable 4.3 GB Wide-Ultra SCSI drive fail in a 3 drive RAID 5 setup (using Compaq Smart 2/p Array Controller). The server is vendor supplied, not under warranty and not covered under our contract (but the vendor won't help). So I need to buy a replacement drive. I'm concerned about obtaining a very similar replacement for this older style hot plug drive...are they still available? Who can I call? I need to get a part number to give to the person who orders our hardware. The drive cage says "Replace with Compaq Spare 4.3GB WIDE-ULTRA SCSI DRV/TRY [242622001]", but since the drive was so small/old, I wondered if I wouldn't have to pick a functional equivalent?

Thanks,
Bruce Lautenschlager
Bethesda Healthcare System
Boynton Beach, FL
1 REPLY 1
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

Re: Obtaining a replacement hard drive

you may not be able to get that drive anymore since it is most likely discontinued however if you get a larger drive such as a 9.1gb or even an 18 gb as long as the scsi connectors are the same then you can rebuild with that...the raid stripe will of course only use the portion that the old drive did so you will have "unused space" left over as well..you can call compaq at 1-800-652-6672 to get part numbers to order
We are here for a good time, not a long time!