5758 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Old CL1850/1850R automatic power restart

J Mike Gilbert
Advisor

Old CL1850/1850R automatic power restart

Hi guys,

Yes I still have a CL1850 in production. It's attached to a 3rd party UPS, and this weekend we had a power failure.

The system shut down cleanly as designed, but when the power came back the processor stayed off even though the UPS itself came back on. We had to send somebody in over the weekend just to push the power button, which was not fun.

Is there a setting somewhere to make a CL1850/1850R processor turn on automatically when power is re-applied after a failure? Perhaps in the BIOS? Does anybody remember how systems of this vintage handled the restart issue?

Thanks,
Mike Gilbert
6 REPLIES 6
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Re: Old CL1850/1850R automatic power restart

NO OPTION like that in prliant BIOS
Nothing is impossible
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Verify if you can do with RILOE Board, some older Server have pins at System Board that you need to connect to RILOE for Virtual Power button.
Dave Doherty

I have six or seven 1850R's on line. All but one power on automatically after a power failure. I have been pulling out what little hair I have left trying to figure out what's different about the one. There does not appear to be a BIOS option, and the switches on the motherboard do not appear to effect this - and they are set the same on all servers, anyway.

Hopefully somebody here with a long memory will have the solution.
J Mike Gilbert
Advisor

Dave, it's interesting that your 1850R's do diferent things!

You know, I can't really believe that a mainstream server like the 1850R was really designed to shut down and stay off after a multi-hour power fail. It came with several nice UPS options and some good UPS managment software. But if the system goes permanently out of service after a power failure of more than a few minutes duration (ie long enough that it couldn't ride through on the UPS batteries), then what was the point of all that UPS support? Just to avoid corruption on cached disks?

I appreciate the answer about the Remote Insight board, but that still requires manual intervention to get the system back on.

There had to be a way to configure the system so it would just automatically come back on when the UPS and power came back, didn't there? Well maybe not but I find the lack to be pretty shocking. Do current HP servers have the same deficiency?
JonEtkins

I'm striking the exact same problem since I had a prolonged power outage last week. I'm quite sure that when I first set this all up, the 1850R would spin back up when the power was restored, but now it just sits there in Standby mode until I press the power button.

Damned frustrating, and like you, I can't find any way to change that behavior in the BIOS setup.
steve kowalsky

I am going from memory, but is there an option for ASR (automatic server recovery - i think) in the config or some such that will do this?