ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752796 Members
6148 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Old ProLiant DL380 G5: Server reset - Server power removed - Server power restored

Frenky-77
Advisor

Old ProLiant DL380 G5: Server reset - Server power removed - Server power restored

I have an old ProLiant DL380 G5 that works 24/7 since 2016. No changes where made at all in the server that worked regularly with a pfSense firewall.

Recently it begins to stop randomly (saturday night, saturday afternoon, ...), I found it turned off and I need to push the phisycal button to turn it on (I can't login in the ilo and restart it).

The iLo 2 Event Log says:

Severity   Class   Last Update   Initial Update   Count   Description

Informational   iLO 2   03/24/2020 07:00   03/24/2020 07:00   1   Server power restored.
Informational   iLO 2   03/23/2020 13:46   03/23/2020 13:46   1   Server power removed.
Caution   iLO 2   03/23/2020 13:46   03/23/2020 13:46   1   Server reset.
Informational   iLO 2  03/23/2020 07:03   03/23/2020 07:03   1   Server power restored.
Informational   iLO 2   03/21/2020 16:22   03/21/2020 16:22   1   Server power removed.
Caution   iLO 2   03/21/2020 16:22   03/21/2020 16:22   1   Server reset.

There are a lot of old discussions in this and other blogs that had this problem (some yeras ago!) but it seems that no one found the right solution.

I tried to change one of the two PSU's (there's redundant power supply) in order to try to understand the problem and to exclude on PSU.

Now I can't neither look at the bios or do some diagnostic cause I have to wait after 5 pm obviously!

Temperatures are ok and no messages in the IML (Intergrated mangement log).

Only now I notice that the "Sever power restored" happens at 7 in the morning when I physically turn on again the server with the button (that is amber colored).

Any idea?

Thank's,

Francesco

6 REPLIES 6
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Re: Old ProLiant DL380 G5: Server reset - Server power removed - Server power restored

Hello,

I hope are all well.

Cause: The issue is identified when the server is running with power supplies having revision 03M (or earlier).

RESOLUTION

If the server suddenly shuts down and will not power up again, replace the power supply with Spares Kit 403781-001. All Power Supply Service Spares Kits have been reworked.

Power Supplies with Revision Level 03M AND a Green Dot in the upper right corner of the Power Supply label and Revision Level 04M (or later) are NOT affected.

Power Supplies with a yellow dot in the lower-left corner of the power supply label are NOT affected.

The issues are not seen with power supplies with revision 03M (with a green dot) and later.

To resolve this issue, replace both power supply (spare part number: 403781-001 ) and the power supply backplane (spare part number: 413144-001 ) at one time.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Frenky-77
Advisor

Hi
I already knew the problems with the power supply spare kits but itтАЩs not my case.

I didnтАЩt try to change the power supply backplane (spare part number: 413144-001 ) cause the server is quite old. Maybe in the future when IтАЩll have more timeтАж
I preferred to change it with a newer model.

Thanks,
Francesco

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

Thank you for the update.

Your server issue will be resolve as per suggested action, I would request you take the correction decision.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Briannnnnn
Visitor

HI Francescoя╝М

I have the same problem about HP DL380 G5 .

Could you tell me how to  solve the problem?

Thanks.

Brian

Frenky-77
Advisor

Hi

I decided to change my server witha a new one...

Sorry.

Briannnnnn
Visitor

HAHA It is  a  good  solution.

Thanks for your reply. я╝Ъ)