Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Proliant 3000 - strange hanging issue

Traian Marchis
Occasional Visitor

Old Proliant 3000 - strange hanging issue

Hello all,

I'm trying to reconfigure from scratch a Proliant 3000, 333MHz, 256 MB RAM, RAID controller. Ran Smartstart and erased all the configuration. Upon reboot I get to the part where Smartstart is trying to start the EISA configuration manager, loads one cfg file and then freezes completely. I can't pass over this point, tried to clean the NVRAM using the switches, reseated the memory, nothing helped.
Any idea would be really appreciated!

Traian
5 REPLIES
Gert Luyten
Respected Contributor

Re: Old Proliant 3000 - strange hanging issue

There were some known problems with:
- certain revisions of Smartstart CD (look for the ZOMAX word on the inner area of the back of the CD)
- certain Teac (slim line) CD-ROM
drives

Try to use another Smartstart CD (not 6.x) or install another CD-ROM for testing this.
A Proliant a day keeps the competition away!
Traian Marchis
Occasional Visitor

I've tried several versions of SmartStart (4.60, 5.40,5.50), changed the CDROM drive - no results. I've manually created the SCU floppy disks and tried to boot up using them - the machine did froze when it was trying to load up the *.cfg file from the second floppy disk.
Shep Johnson
Advisor

A faulty piece of hardware is going to be the cause. You'll just have to use some standard troubleshooting techniques (i.e. pulling out all non-essential cards, ram etc.) to try to determine which part is at fault.
Traian Marchis
Occasional Visitor

Update on this issue:
I've gave up to configure the machine because nothing worked so I've tried to apply the same procedure to a different machine, still the exact configuration. Surprise...the same error. Since I've got the same problem on two different machines (but with similar configuration) I must do something wrong but I do not understand what exactly.
Any ideas?
herb_4
Advisor

for proliant 3000, u must use smartstart 5.5 or lower, check the processor settings, try a lower setting, and last of all take everthing out that is not essential, use onboard video, and make sure all ram, and i say again, all ram is compaq certified ram, proliant 3000 series has a problem with non comnpaq ram, i have 2 of them. if all fails, find a hammer.lol a bare server shopule have no card in it at first then add the cards and configure each one, one by one untill it works or untill it lock\s up and yo know your problem equipment.

herb