108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Old vs New Drive Enclosures ProLiant 1600

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mark J. Easly
Advisor

Old vs New Drive Enclosures ProLiant 1600

The ProLiant 1600 I am working on seems to have the old style hot plug cage (using the integrated dual channel wide ultra SCSI-3 controller). Is the newer cage (387089-001) required for 142671-B22 9.1GB or the 142673-B22 18GB drives? If those drives will not work in that cage, what are the part numbers (9, 18 and 36GB) that would work with this cage?

How difficult of a project is it to swap out the cage to a newer 387089-001 cage? What is required?

Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
Mark J. Easly
Advisor

Re: Old vs New Drive Enclosures ProLiant 1600

JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Mark:

To use the new Universal Drives, you just need to replace the 6x1 drive cage.
http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/showphoto?partnumber=387089-001
Yes, it is very simple. Couple of screws and reconnect the cables.

That said, I would recommend you use this cable set (166390-B21), it will give you Ultra3 to the cage instead of Ultra2.
or this set:
http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/showphoto?partnumber=180305-001
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
e4services
Honored Contributor

Mark,

That is correct. You simply need to replace the cage withthe universal cage. I would suggest using a good U320 cert cable instead of the older Compaq ones.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Mark J. Easly
Advisor

Looks like an easy project as I look at it closer. Since I am using the integrated controller, which as I recall is only capable of 40MB/s per channel, we would not see the full potential of the Ultra160 and Ultra320 drives, even with the proper spec cables. Opinions?

There were two optional SCSI controllers with the 1600, the Smart Array 3200 (295643-B21) and the Smart Array 4200 (295636-B21). Can you point me to the specifications and any other related documentation on these controllers?

Finally, is there a 36GB 1 inch drive that fit into the old style hot plug cage or did the 36 only come available in the 1.6? If so, what was that part number?

Thanks.
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Mark:

The two controllers you listed will certainly work in this server. One thing you must know before installing one is that your data currently on the Integrated SCSI Controller will be wiped when you initiallize the Array. You will have to restore your data from tape or something.

Yes, the old blade style 36GB disks came as a 1.6" drive. You really do not want that if you are going to change the cage. When you change the cage, all the disks you had will either need a "new hot plug carrier" (something of a hack, but it works) or new disks.

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/supportinformation/papers/0225-0699-a.pdf

Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Mark J. Easly
Advisor

John,

The old style 36GB drives only came in 1.6 inch? If they didn't, and there is a 1 inch available, would you happen to know the part number? I understand that if I upgrade to the newer cage, the older drive enclosures will not work. Just looking at two solutions, as it may not be worth the time and energy to upgrade the cages.

Thanks.
Mike Percival_1
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Just use a Seagate Cheetah or similar 1" drive in a 1" enclosure. You don't NEED to use Compaq specific drives, and my P1600 has all the original 4.3Gb 1" drive trays fitted with everything from 4.3Gb to 76Gb drives with a mixture of WD, Seagate and Compaq. The label on the front peels off easily enough and you can write on the capacity of the new drive with an indelible pen if you can't be fussed to make up a new label.