Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On noisy Proliant fans ...

JP Steeghs
Occasional Advisor

On noisy Proliant fans ...

Hi you all,
I recently obtained an older ML370, first generation, working @ 933, single processor. I installed W2K server, works fine. Only, I got very annoyed by the deafening fan noise, really incredible ... So I replaced the CPU fan with a single processor fan, directly attached to the heat sink, the kind they used for the older AMD & Intel procs. When I got the - apparently notorious - '1611 CPU fan failure' message at boot, I checked with this forum, to find out a lot of people having the same problem, and none came up with a reasonable solution other than replacing the fan with an authentic Compaq spare part, which undoubtedly has the same dB level ...
So here's what I came up with to get around this problem of having perfectly adequate fans, but still not being able to boot ...
The thing is that the original CPU fan gives off a specific signal to the mainboard that everything is OK, just like the other fan for the plug-in cards. What I did then, was connect the new fan's DC wiring to the appropriate jumpers on the mainboard (red and double black (don't forget the _double_ like the original wiring ...), and connect the 'CPU fan signal OK' jumper with a new wire to the corresponding jumper of the other fan on the mainboard (white), so that the other fan returns the 'CPU fan signal OK' to the mainboard through both its own jumpering as well as the CPU fan jumpering. No more error messages as result, the system boots just as it should, and I reduced the noise level by >50%. I hope this gives some of you also a clue on how to get around a defect fan and/or the unbearable noise level of these compaq series; My guess is, that this solution applies to a wide range of other Proliant servers too ...
Still, for the more technical among you, I have a question on what kind of signal exactly it is, that the mainboard is expecting from the fan; is it an ampere level, or something? In that case one should be able to use other fans as well, by interlacing some regulatory device. Or is it some real digital code input, which I cannot imagine, looking at the rather dumb construction of the fans ...
Anyone among you got any clues on what this 'CPU fan signal OK' jumper comprises of in an electrotechnical way?
Thanks in advance, good luck with the re-wiring & bye, JP
2 REPLIES
Giuliano_8
Advisor

Re: On noisy Proliant fans ...

can you help me with that trick to disable the fan on my ML370 G1

Giuliano_8
Advisor

Re: On noisy Proliant fans ...

Dear JP, Scenario three sounds great to me, can you please give me soms more details on how to connect my ONE 80mm fan to the mainboard

excuses me but i am not that technical hehe...

Giuliano