ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748061 Members
5596 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Onboard SATA in an ML110 (1st generation)

wyldcard

Onboard SATA in an ML110 (1st generation)

I have a first generation ML110 (part # 359663-001) that shipped with two 36GB SCSI drives. It has two SATA connectors on the motherboad and a grayed out option in the BIOS to disable/enable the SATA controller. The BIOS is 4.06.20RW (the most current). I have searched the forums and others have asked this same question but I cannot find a definitive "yes" or "no". Some have spoken with HP phone support and have been told "yes". A couple posts in the HP Server2003 forum suggest "no" but say to ask the Proliant forum. So... is there any way to enable the SATA controller in the BIOS on my first generation ML110? If not, are the motherboards the same for all of the different variants (SCSI, SATA, IDE, etc) of the first generation ML110? I presume that they are since the BIOS firmware is the same, but I just want to know for sure. Looking forward to your response.
6 REPLIES 6
wyldcard

Additionally... the current "ProLiant ML110 Server Operations and Maintenance Guide" found in the manuals section of the support site for first generation ML110 pretty clearly indicates that the onboard SATA is supported. It does mention the "optional media storage" options of 4 hot-swappable SATA drives or a combination of non hot-swappable PATA and SCSI drives, but does NOT say the onboard SATA is disabled with the PATA/SCSI option.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00095485/c00095485.pdf
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I think this is due to only being able to have 4 devices (in total) via the Southbridge chipset (Hance Rapid chipset on ML110 G1). If you disable the master and slave ports of the secondary IDE channel I think that the two SATA ports will appear in the BIOS (2 -PATA and 2 -SATA)=4 in total, Hance Rapid will be OK with that.

I saw an article from another forum that suggested the following:-

=======
My southbridge is a 6300ESB Hance Rapid, which has 4 PATA and 2 SATA. When bootup in Darwin the generic PATA is loaded. So in Bios I disabled Enahanced-SATA, and allow only 2 PATA and 2 SATA.

If I'm wrong, when the all the PATA(4) and SATA(2) is enable the Darwin can only detect and support up to first 4 channel, and the first 4 are the 4 PATA. The only way is to disable your last 2 PATA(Secondary Master and Slave), so the 2 SATA replace the 2 disabled channels.

Hope this works for other motherboard using 6300ESB southbridge.
=======

I honestly don't know if this is your answer but it won't do any harm to try disabling the secondary ports just to see if the SATA ports suddenly appear as expected.

As you say - There's not a lot in the maintenence guide to help in this area.

I hope this helps.

Brian

wyldcard

Thanks for the suggestion Brian. I tried disabling PATA0, then PATA1, then both and the SATA option never lit up. What this feels like to me is that the system is capable of using SATA but there's a jumper on the motherboard that is "open" which is why the option appears, but isn't changeable. There is a thing (for lack of a better term) in the motherboard right next to the SATA controllers labeled "CN15" and it looks a lot like an open jumper. The only problem is that there is plastic melted over the "jumper" so it is permanently "open" and unusable. Looking around the motherboard, everything else labeled CNxx is some type of pin-like connector so I'm assuming CN15 would be the same type. Thanks again for your suggestion, feel free to pass along anything else you can think of.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi,

That's a pity - I thought it might work.

If I remember correctly the ML110 G1 system board is based on an ASUS model with HP BIOS so if I can find more detail on the original ASUS version I will pass it on.

Brian
Emerson Oliveira

I have the same problem. I dont find solution at the time.
Emerson Oliveira

Well, device sata for de first generation of ML110 not avaliable to using wich onboard controler, only a off board controler, install a new sata controler to use sata disck.

its my conclusion.

=/