ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748181 Members
3454 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: One logical drive on Smart 2DH not rebuilding

Thai_2

One logical drive on Smart 2DH not rebuilding

I have 3 RAID 5 logical drives configured on a Smart 2DH controller in a Proliant 1600. One drive died so I replaced it with a new drive. It's been a week and I noticed that one 2 of the 3 logical drives have been rebuilt. Logical drive 1 has a status of "Ready for Rebuild". When I restart the server, the POST messages prompts whether or not I want to restart the rebuild process. If I answer yes, it restarts the rebuild process but after a while, the same situation comes up again.

Does anyone know why 2 out of 3 logical drives get rebuild while one gets stuck?
2 REPLIES 2
David Lochhead
Frequent Advisor

Hi ,

You should check your firmware on your controller , should be 4.50 . DO NOT upgrade until the rebuild is finished. Check your array with the ADU (Array diagnostic utility) you probably have another failing drive that is stopping the rebuild , look for hard read/writes in the ADU report to indicate this. If you have another failing drive you should back up you data replace the drive and recreate your array then restore your data . Once this is done then upgrade your firmware , do it in increments , eg 1.92- 2.14 - 2.38 - 3.10 -4.06 - 4.50 to avoid ruining your controller do NOT jump from a really old firmware to the latest , If you have the spinning bars on your intialization and you are not having problems after the rebuild , I would leave it , These controllers are infamous for "dying" on firmware upgrades
Thai_2

David,

I'm running firmware 4.5. I've been working with HP for the past week trying to resolve this issue. I've sent HP the ADU report and their solution of shutting down the server, removing the drive, telling the controller to fail the drive, shutting down the server again, reinstall the drive, and rebuild did not fix the problem. If I'm in the ACU, I can see the logical drive 1 rebuild progress increasing until it hits about 50% and then it stops and moves on to logical drives 2 & 3. After logical drives 2 & 3 finishes rebuilding, logical drive 1 just sits in the "Ready for Rebuild" state.

All 3 drives are the same model and have the same firmware. There are no read/write errors for any of the drives.