ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748157 Members
4253 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Online 7.91 FW update froze

Michael T. Butler

Online 7.91 FW update froze

I just downloaded and burned the 7.91 ProLiant firmware update CD. Rebooted a non-critical server to the cd and ran all the FW updates without issue (5 or 6 of them).

I then put the same cd in another non-critical server and tried to run the FW updates online, without booting from the CD. It completed one or two updates, and is now hanging on an update. It said 4 updates remaining. Left it for 30 minutes with no change. Hit cancel, and it said 1 update remaining. I assume it is trying to finish the update in progress and aborting the rest. Left it in this state for a few hours with no change. I'm afraid to kill the firmware update program because it might damage something.

What do you think I should do? I was thinking about killing it and rebooting to the CD and hoping that it could recover or retry.
3 REPLIES 3
Michael T. Butler

Oh, the servers are ProLiant DL380 G4s.
Michael T. Butler

Well, the server wasn't responding on the network so it was effectively dead. I couldn't get it to shut down, either, so I had to do a hard reboot. Booted to the FW CD, and it showed that 2 devices had their FW updated and 4 did not. It successfully updated all the FWs and everything appears to be working fine now. Oh well.
Michael T. Butler

Got the FW updated with no issues.