1752323 Members
5341 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Operating temperature/reboot problem

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Operating temperature/reboot problem

Configured with duel CPU, Compaq management agent gives Zone4 overheating warning (77 deg C) followed by reboot. The heatsink joining paste seems a little sparse.

I can remove the threshhold but surely this is not the answer. Off 8 DL360's out the box, 3 have this problem. I have a 40mm air gap between these racked up servers.

Management config or hardware issue, and what is normal operating temp so a new/correct threshold can be set??
5 REPLIES 5
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Operating temperature/reboot problem

First make sure you have enough air clearance in the front and back of the system. You need a minimum of 6 inches. Next, verify that all the fans are working in the system. Also that the heatsinks are fully installed on the processors and did not get jarred out of position during shipping. You can try increasing the tempreature threshold to 80 deg C to see if this makes a difference. If not, one of the processors may be overheating. If you can not find a cooling problem, replace the processor and heatsink under your Compaq warranty.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

FYI
The problem has been sourced to the heatsink on the 2nd CPU. The 2nd CPU was purchased as an option (separate) and the enclosed heatsink had poor joining paste. Compaq have replaced all optionally supplied heatsinks with higher quality items. ALL parts in this dicussion have/were supplied by Compaq.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I had the same problem with 2 DL360's and a DL380 and discovered that the problem was due to having 2 CPU's from different countrys of origin. After swapping or replacing processors so that all servers had the country specific processors I had no further problems.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Half of my DL360's have this problem with the second CPU. Problem is a combination of a heat sink spring with too little tension and thermal tape that does not make good contact. For ten dollars I bought a tube of Artic Silver heat sink paste, applied it to the processor and affixed the heatsink (tape still intact). Haven't had a problem since.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

How exactly do you remove the threshold?