ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753952 Members
7714 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: P1600 cannot shutdown/restart programmatically after initial shutdown is cancelled.

Yury_6

P1600 cannot shutdown/restart programmatically after initial shutdown is cancelled.

Hello,
I created a small app in VB which runs a task before user restarts/shuts down the server. The app runs in the background and catches the initial shutdown/restart/logoff event with Form_QueryUnload() event. Then it sets the Cancel to True to cancel the shutdown/restart, runs the designated task and forces server to shutdown with API command ExitWindowsEx(...).

I don't think it's the code which is buggy, it works on different models of servers and workstations and is fairly simple. It works fine on my Compaq Deskpro EN and D360 servers. But I cannot make it work well on P1600. After the initial shutdown is interrupted, neither the code, nor the Start-->Shutdown or Restart can turn it off. The screen is darker with an hourglass running forever... The only way to restart the machine is ALT-CTRL-DEL.

Any idea why it happens? All recommendations are appreciated.

My email: ac.yura@sympatico.ca

Thanks a lot!
1 REPLY 1
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Re: P1600 cannot shutdown/restart programmatically after initial shutdown is cancelled.

Hello,

The "Cpq System Management Shutdown Service" or newer "HP Proliant Shutdown Service" may be the cause (SYSDOWN.EXE). The naming depends on the version installed.

Try disabling the service and then try your application again.

Also have a look at the CPQSHUT.CMD batch file if present. (Should be in the WINNT\SYSTEM32 directory)if present.

Regards,

Brian