ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748034 Members
4942 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: P212 in a ML110G6: how to monitor it through ILO?

SOLVED
Go to solution
saxa
Advisor

P212 in a ML110G6: how to monitor it through ILO?

I would like to know if it's possible to monitor the arrays on the P212 RAID card over the website of the ILO. I don't want to be able to [re]build them, but just to look if they are OK. Ideally, I would like to receive the mail if the drive fails...

I don't see this option on an iLO website; the only things I can monitor there are voltages and temperatures...

Unfortunately I can't monitor the P212's state through the OS: ESXi is installed on the box.
5 REPLIES 5
saxa
Advisor

Somebody? Anybody? :)
Mauricio Salas
Frequent Advisor
Solution

SIM (system Insight Managent) will send you emails to your account, but there is no support for Software Drivers on ESXi, so the iLO just can provide you Logs (there are iLO logs, so you can monitor the server there) also with the smart start to diagnose, you can manage it from the iLO even if you just have Standart iLO
saxa
Advisor

Hi Mauricio,

thank you for the input.

Unfortunately it doesn't really help: as you stated, it's not possible to use the SIM on ESXi.

Looks like there is no way for the _real_ monitoring of the arrays...
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi Saxa,

As per OS compatibility matrix VMware ESX/ESXi is not officially supported on ML110 G6 server. Hence, you won't be able to install HP Insight management agents on ESXi machine which is required to manage server remotely from CMS server or HP SIM.

If you have testing environment you may test this offline bundle
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=3709945&prodSeriesId=3948609&swItem=MTX-8758956156b94fc1a59e078961&prodNameId=3948610&swEnvOID=4040&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=5

check the prerequisittes, revision history and installation notes before applying it... how it may or may not work since... that's not the supported OS on this machine.

Offline method : boot from Smart start CD/ISO using ILO virtual Media and run Array configuration utility.

Thanks,
Aftab

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

saxa
Advisor

Hello Aftab,

thank you for the answer.

I begin with the offline method: this one is a known one; saxa's looking for an online monitoring. :)

The suggested patch, which installs all possible HP drivers, can't be applied on ML110G6 _directly_. I apply it on the virtualized ESXi and then patch the oem.tgz file by editing the oem-hp-smx-provider-providerRegister file and repackaging the oem.tgz (see http://forum.lettronics.com/forums/thread/1273.aspx ).

I see the P212's sensors in the vSphere then (see attachment)! But it's not an official way. E.g. you can't path the ESXi host - according to my experience you'll end up with the new installation.

A question to you: why doesn't HP publish an ESXi driver package which would only install the driver for the storage controller?

BTW: the entry level servers made by other vendors do support ESXi natively. But saxa would like to stay with HP ;)